Local shops...for local people !

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Local shops...for local people !

Post by Dave »

I nearly always buy riding kit from local shops.
Most of the time the price is cheaper than online, plus there is the massive advantage of being able to try the kit on to ensure I get the correct size.

When it comes to service parts...mostly they are bought at the time of service from the local garage doing the service.

But recently I needed brake pads and a battery out with service time.

I was stunned at the thieving bandits at the parts section of bike manufacturer/importers sites, also the high price at some other sites.
Ebay did not help much, as the reference to my original manufacturers parts numbers mostly came up blank.
Often when inputting my bike model/year, different brake pad options were offered, but no indication if for the front or rear.

When I enquired at some local dealers, most did not have the pads in stock, but Shirlaws did...at an acceptable price.

Similar with the battery...ended up getting one from Eccoss at a lower price than most online retailers, and half the price of some online retailers and those that were less expensive were offering an odd brand or did not have that "trust" factor.

Moral of this post:
Use local shops
They are often less expensive
No hidden handling or postage charges
You have hands on the item, so if you get the wrong one/size...it is often your fault
It is easier to return if you get the wrong size or item.
There is after sales service
And if you done use them, they may shut down...not good for everyone !!

Also, there are often some items/clothing that you never knew you NEEDED...until you see then in the flesh and get hands on them

ps, I have no commercial interest/shares/capital/employment connections with any shops, local or otherwise (apart from a very very good art gallery in Ballater...a very very good one indeed).
Yes my name is David, but no relation to the David residing in the local shop just outside Royston Vasey
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Re: Local shops...for local people !

Post by haiax0 »

We have two very different shopping experiences then.. :???

I would love to buy local in the biking world more often, but I find overpricing and lack of choice being a major factor which steers me to online competition more often than I would like to admit.

I agree fully with 90% of your comments about local buying, when its at a reasonable price and there is good options to choose from you just cant beat a local buy. :hippy
Yarek
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Kwak Z1000sx

Post by Yarek »

I've bought a bunch of stuff from J&S over the last couple of months and have popped into Shirlaws and Ecosse from time to time to check on what they had. I think often the problem is with limited choices available (the dealers only have limited space). J&S does appear to have a lot of choice available and they offer their website prices in store.

I generally prefer to buy locally, but there are occasions where it just makes sense to buy online.
Mikeyadam
Just Passed
Current Ride: 2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Post by Mikeyadam »

Swung in by shirlaws today to get some new plugs, ended up test riding the Street triple and going in next week to test ride the Kwak Z800. Ended up having to buy a new battery also as the bike wouldn't start when I eventually left. Good prices I thought.
:2up