General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Ricki_Thundercat
Direct Access
Current Ride: 2001 Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat

Insurance claims

Post by Ricki_Thundercat »

Hey everyone

Unfortunately a week or so ago I had a wee diesel slip in kincorth on my 2001 Thunercat. It was a low speed one but I've still managed to royally screw up my ankle! The damage is a bent/snapped handlebar, buckled exhaust and manifold (The brunt of the impact on the end can seems to have almost ripped it out of the block) and also, the impact has caused a very loud banging coming from the engine...

It's a 2001 Thundercat with quite high mileage, 61k!!

Now, if I was to claim on my insurance for this (My excess in total is £350) What would be the likely outcome? Is it worth me doing this? I think the cost of repairing this back to how it was before would be much greater than £350 considering the engine damage is likely to be quite severe. I only paid £700 for the bike, but if it was a write off how much are they likely to offer me? Even though i paid £700, I told the insurance I paid £1500 (As that is how much it's worth roughly)

Any advice on this sort of claims procedure our outcome would be greatly appreciated.
Zax
Derren Brown

Re: Insurance claims

Post by Zax »

you are at the range of prices where the bike is almost certainly an insurance write off so it will come down to what you want from the bike / claim

if you look at the prices that the insurance co will use for repairing the bike
Exhaust £250+
link pipe £250+
fairing panel (one of) £250+

you are already reaching the 50% "value" of the bike

you may be better saving the £350 excess and fix the bike yourself - 350 will go a long way to fix it in second hand parts if you are trying to keep the bike.

If you go to your insurance co - they are going to give you 5-700 back (<1000- excess) after a long fight if you are very lucky . High mileage on bike

You need to get the damage assessed , get the fairings off and look at what is not right and start from there. It may be an easy fix to get mobile again - and just run it as a hack for a while.
The banging noise does not sound good though....

But remember - if you delay in telling your insurance - they can be very iffy about it.
Ricki_Thundercat
Direct Access
Current Ride: 2001 Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat

Post by Ricki_Thundercat »

My excess is only £350 (Thats including compulsory and voluntary), so even if after that is deducted if i end off with a grand, I'm still £300 up from what i paid for the thing.

I decided i couldn't be bothered with the hassle, insurance company are collecting the bike on Monday to be assessed on site - they don't seem bothered that i took a couple of weeks to claim. I hope this is a quick process, after all theres no third party involved.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

... and your next years premium will be .........£X +++
Viffer
Direct Access

Post by Viffer »

missile wrote:... and your next years premium will be .........£X +++
I pranged my car 5 years ago and claimed. No other party involved but then I had to declare this to my motorcycle insurer straight away. They didn't charge me extra but the renewal was almost double (£135) extra.
Lesson to self - shouldn't have claimed on a £1200 repair with £300 excess
huffanpuff
Scary biscuits

Post by huffanpuff »

funny how when you ask to use your car NCD for your bike they stipulate "your car policy has no bearing on your bike, 2 different entities" however, i had a non fault non claim incident (first bus ripped off my car mirror while parked!) my bike insurance called to say they were cancelling insurance as i never reported it, i explained i never claimed and was repaired by 1st, they said it's so they "can assess me as a driver" - not bad i was not even in the car, i asked what happened to them being separate, they says "it's the way it is"

one sided robbing a**holes!!
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

I couldn't believe moving from BOD to westhill, AND keeping the bike in an actual storage device (bikesafe - galvanised steel box essentially),.... my premium went UP. WTF! Or at least admin charges ??? aside the change of address and moving out of the city would cancel each other out,... NOPE! About to renew in a few weeks , so curious to see what happens then.