Close call…white Transit van indicating left…then turned right.

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Close call…white Transit van indicating left…then turned right.

Post by Dave »

Today I almost had a white van man take me out.

Location: on a village side street approaching the main road.
I was approaching the give way junction indicating right.
White Transit white van (reg number BF58 XZC) stationary at the junction indicating left, van turned positioned on the left and slightly pointing to the left, leaving plenty room on the right for a bike.
I was going to ride up to the give way line and stop, as I could not see to the left…due to the white van at the junction.
When I was about 0.5 metre from the back of the van, it moved off turning right.
I hit the anchors and the horn, then the van put on his right indicator.

Once I got the junction I stopped (again), turned right after a couple of cars had passed then proceeded to the petrol filing station as per my original plan.
White van also turned in to the petrol station, and parked up at the non-petrol parking area.

I parked at the pump, then calmly walked over to white van just as the tattoo clad vest wearing muscle bound (a proper limp wristed look) driver was climbing out.
“are you aware of what you just did” I asked?
“you should not have been passing me” was the reply.

So I pointed out the facts, including my right to proceed to the junction if it was safe, which at the time I thought it was , before getting cut up by the ar$e driving the white van.
White van driver said he was indicating…”aye, only after I blasted my horn” I said.
All this time white van man was walking towards the shop, never really engaged in the conversation, his passenger kept well away, both looking very sheepish for being big blokes.

They are so lucky this did not turn into a physical fight, or their fists might have been hurting for minutes and minutes after giving me a going over !
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Re: Close call…white Transit van indicating left…then turned right.

Post by haiax0 »

This was one of the first car driving lessons I was ever taught... Never trust the person in front. Let them make there own mistakes and let one of them not be you.. :2up
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Re: Close call…white Transit van indicating left…then turned right.

Post by willian »

Last night on my last big bike lesson a nice foreign gentleman decided to pull out on me in his Porsche as I was turning right off of South Anderson Drive towards Kaimhill at the broomhill road roundabout, road fully clear for me and I was signalling correctly.

He squirted out of Broomhill road going straight on towards Kaimhill and came right alongside me as I was turning off the roundabout, I saw him and had stopped.

Being in "test mode" I didn't gesticulate or shout. :hippy

Simon who was in front of me on the other hand had stopped and was tooting like a mad'un. Haha :log