Bikers…please ride safe !

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Today I have been made aware of a couple of crashes involving bikes.
Sounds like both may have been avoidable by the biker.

It goes without saying that I do not want any road user to get hurt.

One crash was at a junction, car turning right off the main road, bike ran into the side of the car.
There are signs on both directions before that junction warning of the junction.
I believe the car had its indicator on for turning right.
The rider did walk around after the crash, but was taken to hospital (hope they are ok).
I hate to think what may have happened to the biker if a vehicle turned left out that junction ...instead of having a side on crash it would have been a head on crash.

Regardless of who is in the right, regardless of the law, we are the ones that are going to get hurt in a crash.

I have a son learning to ride, and often have discussions about road use.
Some of the obvious key points, like:

Look at the road signs…they give the road user a bit of a clue about what is ahead, they cost money to put up, all councils are tight gits so signs are only erected where are needed, so not only look at the sings but be prepared to take appropriate action.

At Junctions, best not overtake…for a whole heap of reasons!

Where there are domestic or farm buildings…vehicles may be exiting, ie reversing and the driver not being able to see the road...regardless is if the driver is in the wrong, this does happen a lot, in the city and in the sticks.

The road surface...I like to know what I am riding on, and I try to spot the loose items, the liquids, the holes etc, most of the time I try to miss the hazards but sometimes one has to take the path of the lesser hit...ie ride over the pothole or big avoidance which may be more hazardous.

A one-liner that is in the highway code, that I try to remember and put into practice:
Rule 126: "Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear."
https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-dr ... 117-to-126

This is only a brief summary of many things we all do without thinking (much)

If by reading this, and some of you managed to retain part the above (and any responses) in your brain, or it gets you thinking about safe riding, I will be a happy boy.

It would be good if you can post up a simple line or two that keeps you aware on the road.

Me...I am still learning, and trying to pass on anything that may help other road users.

You all... please ride safe :2up
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Re: Bikers…please ride safe !

Post by Gazza »

One of the most common forms of head on crash is somebody pulling out of a junction without looking left. They look right for oncoming traffic, see it's clear and off they go.

Never overtake at a junction.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

I remember the advice my instructor gave me many years ago.

'Everyone on the road is an idiot who will try to kill you' It is up to you to make sure they do not succeed.

'Everyone' includes you / me.

You can't train everyone else, but you can improve yourself.
g.cowen
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: 2012 KTM 990 SMT
VW Amarok
'91 750 Guzzi project...

Post by g.cowen »

On right hand bends stay on left side of lane, as far as safe and possible, and visa versa on left hand bends. That way you have slightly more chance of seeing the stopped car, tractor etcc before you go up it's arse !!

Sent from my iPhone (yes I have no personality and truly believe that having a fancy phone IS the way to win friends and hopefully get laid!) using Tapatalk
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Post by willian »

Dave, I'm led to believe that the junction crash you mentioned in your post the rider suffered a broken ankle and broken ribs, and a night in ARI.

Lucky it wasn't more than that.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

willian wrote:Dave, I'm led to believe that the junction crash you mentioned in your post the rider suffered a broken ankle and broken ribs, and a night in ARI.

Lucky it wasn't more than that.
ouch :(
Yarek
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Kwak Z1000sx

Post by Yarek »

Makes me happy to see posts like this rather than the "omg, look at his chicken strips" or "don't ride like a fanny" comments that you sometimes expect from a testosterone fuelled environment. Genuine concern for all our safety :worthy
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

One of my work colleagues came off on Thursday near Westhill, bust his arm.

Another one of my work colleagues just returned from a work trip abroad and found out I have started biking and his attitude regarding bikers is concerning :nono :roll
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Yarek wrote: "don't ride like a fanny" comments that you sometimes expect from a testosterone fuelled environment. Genuine concern for all our safety :worthy
You'll love my other post then!!
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Today I spent a few hours helping a biker that just hit a car that turned right out a junction.

Biker was talking, but we kept him level on the ground, helmet on, covered with jackets/blankets until the ambulance arrived, then after a while a helicopter arrived and took him to Dundee.

I believe the Biker was from Fife.

Not a nice way to end a Sunday run, for a number of people :???
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

Dave wrote:Today I spent a few hours helping a biker that just hit a car that turned right out a junction.

Biker was talking, but we kept him level on the ground, helmet on, covered with jackets/blankets until the ambulance arrived, then after a while a helicopter arrived and took him to Dundee.

I believe the Biker was from Fife.

Not a nice way to end a Sunday run, for a number of people :???
Not nice, hope he's OK and sounds like you handled it very well. :2up