Low speed Front End Wobble

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Low speed Front End Wobble

Post by al »

Calling all you technical gurus ....

Bike - Year 2000 Model Bandit 600 with 1k miles on the clock ( got it in december with 200miles on the clock then )

Over the last hundred or so miles my bike as developed a front end wobble at speeds of 50mph or below. If I take my hands off the bars then the wobble builds up into a big tank slapper! Then I'm riding at low speed I notice the wobble through the bars and can be set off by any un evenness on the road although never gets out of control as long as your hands are resting on the bars.

I've checked the head bearings and the axles and swing arm are all torqued up correcly. I cant feel any noticeable play on either the front or the rear wheel bearings ( with 1000 miles on the clock I would hope not ). Both front disks, as far as I can tell, are true and I cleaned up the callipers last night just to make sure they weren't sticking.

Now, the thing is, the bike still has the origonal BT56's on it from the end of 2000 :anon and now that there is 1k miles on them there is a noticeable step in tread depth from where the centre hard compund and the softer side compound starts. The design of the tread means that there is a "zig-zag" overlap between these two compunds. So, what I was wondering was that could the tyres themselves be the most likely cause of the low speed wobble??? :confused :bang

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

Post by Commander_Flash »

Change the front tyre :knob
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

flashbannana wrote:Change the front tyre :knob
Only thing is that that probably means changing both unsless I put a BT010 on the front!

Front - 120/60 ZR17
Rear - 160/60 ZR17

And before anyone suggests it they don't do a D207RR in the front size, only the D208.

al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Bandito boy) wrote:
flashbannana wrote:Change the front tyre :knob
Only thing is that that probably means changing both unless I can get away with a BT010 on the front!

Front - 120/60 ZR17
Rear - 160/60 ZR17

And before anyone suggests it they don't do a D207RR in the front size, only the D208.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Bandito boy).
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

You answered your own question...the tyre is stepped. Have the same, but to a much lesser extent on the ZXR...tyre worn strangly, gives a slow weave, take hands off of bars and I get a slight shuddering. These are dual compound Bridgestones that are fitted to it..although I did not think the 57 was dual????? (DTC)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Backs 400 wrote:You answered your own question...the tyre is stepped. Have the same, but to a much lesser extent on the ZXR...tyre worn strangly, gives a slow weave, take hands off of bars and I get a slight shuddering. These are dual compound Bridgestones that are fitted to it..although I did not think the 57 was dual?????
Don't know anything about the 57's ;)

I don't get a shuddering, I get a dirty great big tank slap which would break you fingers if you weren't carefull.

I also suspect that the affect may be worse when the temperature is very cold wich would definetly suggest the tures in my book!

Anyone tried Metzeler sportecs in the wet???
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Any one tried the Pirelli Diablo's yet??
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Whoops..sorry..56's..I can't believe it's not butter!..deffinetly not dual compound then.

I am going for the 020's on my 750...seem to get massive thumbs up from everyone who has tried them..and the Bandit has the same rims I am led to believe...might be worth looking at.

Forgot to add...are you sure nobody has fiddled with your settings on your front forks? I had someone turn one adjuster up hard and the other soft...hitting any bumps made the bars snatch one way or the other. Pesky kids!
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Backs 400 wrote:Whoops..sorry..56's..I can't believe it's not butter!..deffinetly not dual compound then.

I am going for the 020's on my 750...seem to get massive thumbs up from everyone who has tried them..and the Bandit has the same rims I am led to believe...might be worth looking at.

Forgot to add...are you sure nobody has fiddled with your settings on your front forks? I had someone turn one adjuster up hard and the other soft...hitting any bumps made the bars snatch one way or the other. Pesky kids!
The 56's are dual compount as far as I am aware as are most Bridgestones.

As for the settings, unless they can strip down the forks, change the air gap, oil weight etc. they would have a hard time messing with my forks!!

Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

You don't have re-bound adjusters on the top of the forks????? Blimey!

Have a look at http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/mc/eu/products/index.html

The 92's and H rated 45's have DTC....basically anything that is classed as Sports Touring...but anyway..don't really matter if the bike is trying to throw you off..I can't believe it's not butter!

Breakingpoint have part worn 56's in just now...120/60/17..cheap way out if you dont want to have to change the rear too. None of them looked stepped or badly worn.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

yellowisfriedegg wrote::eek Have you checked that the wheel balance weight hasn't fallen off with all that cleaning that you do ? :I can't believe it's not butter!
I'm sure I would have noticed a clean bit on the rim if it had! :oops I'll whip the wheel off tomorrow morning and try and get ti checked out.

Commander_Flash
Tube steak

Post by Commander_Flash »

I told you !

you should have kept the VTR!
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

flashbannana wrote:I told you !

You were one of the ones that told me to sell it and get a newer bike! :knob
Max Power
Scary biscuits

Post by Max Power »

I had a similar problem with a Kawasaki, but to a lesser degree, also it would feel very vague on left hand turns, turned out to be a knackered fork seal.

The bike had sat for sometime in my garage and the seal had torn slightly when used again. The seals were new before the bike was stored away.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Bandito boy) wrote:

How much did you pay for it Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) and are you too late to get your money back :roll

PS; You ought to have bought my SP! when you had the chance :nono
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Missile (Spanish Fly) wrote:
Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Bandito boy) (Bandito boy) wrote:

How much did you pay for it Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Bandito boy) and are you too late to get your money back :roll

PS; You ought to have bought my SP! when you had the chance :nono
Wouldn't have another Honda after my dealings with them.

Bunch of tossers!

I'm very pleased with my Bandit and the wobble doesn't seem to affect me too much. Still had to wait for Flash to catch up the other Sunday! :2up
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

Have you ridden without your topbox?

I think the general consensus among VFR riders (serial topbox offenders in my experience) is that any sort of handling problem, be it bearings, tyres, etc. are exaggerated by having a topbox fitted.

See this thread for example:

http://hondavfrclub.co.uk/forum/showthr ... ght=wobble
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Dickie wrote:Have you ridden without your topbox?

I think the general consensus among VFR riders (serial topbox offenders in my experience) is that any sort of handling problem, be it bearings, tyres, etc. are exaggerated by having a topbox fitted.

See this thread for example:

http://hondavfrclub.co.uk/forum/showthr ... ght=wobble
I knew about that and it still wobbles without the top box. I only had the box on the other week cause I didn't have time to fold up my waterproofs! :oops

I whipped the wheel off when I got home frmo work this evening and, I know it's not very scientific but, I held the wheel by it's axle and span the wheel. There was a noticable wobble and it looks like the outline of the tyre is very slightly oval. I'll get the ballance checked and take it from there!

Laughingboy
Direct Access

Post by Laughingboy »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian),

I've got a 600 bandit but have never had the problem you describe. My one can get a bit slappy on bad roads but not to the extent you describe.

That said, I've had a tank slapper on my bandit and your right...I nearly broke my fingers!!

Anyhow, this is just to say that I've got Dunlop 207 Sportmax's on my bandit and there great! They're grippy and I've had decent milage out of them with no problems what so ever. Also Banditmania recomend them for the 600.

Plus silletts do em dead cheap! :boing

120/60/17 - £68
160/60/17 - £85

Not bad in my book.... :2up
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Got the wheel balanced this morning and it seems to have made a difference. The test will be on my Monday run to work when it's a bit colder and I have the top box on to see if it is actually any better.

Rob did say that the wheel was slightly out of ballance and I notice that the weights he has put on are about 8 inches from where tha old one was.

Thanks for the advice on the 207's. I may give them a try next time. If I can get away with the newly balanced Bridgestone then I will as I don't really want to for out for tyres at the moment if I don't really need them.