Alternator/rectifier wiring burning out.

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
georigg
Safety Paragon

Alternator/rectifier wiring burning out.

Post by georigg »

Ive just had this same problem (again) on another bike, following on from having a known knackered battery and carrying on running the bike with the intention of fitting a new battery at the end of the month.

Basically, what has happened is that the three cables from the alternator(supplying a three phase alternating supply to the rectifier) have burned out, at the connector block nearest to the rectifier.

My thoughts on this are that because the battery is knackered, and its voltage output has dropped to about 10 Volts - enough just to start the bike if lucky, - the alternator/rectifier, being voltage sensing continues to put out maximum current, trying to bring the battery up to its normal voltage.

I think the moral of this is, if you have first signs of the battery life dropping off, change it as soon as possible rather than trying to keep it going as long as possible by charging overnight etc., before replacing it, or be prepared to check the rectifier wiring for signs of burn-out if you dont.
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

George if this is on the Blackbird they are renowned for Reg/recs going pop.
Give Jaws a call and he should be able to put you right if its this or not
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

And there was me thinking Honda's were renowned for their reliability. :roll
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Gazza wrote:And there was me thinking Honda's were renowned for their reliability. :roll
There's always one :I can't believe it's not butter!

They're great bikes and will do intergalactic miles as long as you keep an eye on the Reg/rec and the dredded CCT ;)
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

blackstorm wrote:They're great bikes and will do intergalactic miles as long as you keep an eye on the Reg/rec and the dredded CCT ;)
Wheel & head bearings, suspension linkages, warped disks etc.
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

blackstorm wrote:
They're great bikes and will do intergalactic miles as long as you keep an eye on the Reg/rec and the dredded CCT ;)
No such problems with my trusty Ducati. ;)
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Gazza wrote:
blackstorm wrote:
Not so long as you carry a fire extinguisher!! :I can't believe it's not butter!
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ( Super Nanny ) wrote:
Gazza wrote:
blackstorm wrote:
Not so long as you carry a fire extinguisher!! :I can't believe it's not butter!
Ahh....That was my old one - 1997 model with a known rectifier problem. There was a major quality control revamp at Ducati in 1998. One of the improvements was to change the rectifier.

Such a shame that Honda does nothing about such long term (and major) problems as CCT's.
TheSaint
Boring Old Fart

Post by TheSaint »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ( Super Nanny ) wrote:
Gazza wrote:
blackstorm wrote:
I peed on mine. On the forecourt of the gas station just the west side of Banchory town centre.

I'll get me coat.