Running on 2 cylinders

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
The.Rev
Direct Access

Running on 2 cylinders

Post by The.Rev »

Anyone got any advice for me?
I know nothing about mechanics / engines (my skills are in computers) and my Bandit 1200 has started firing on 2 cylinders instead of 4. It started happening when we got the really bad rain the other day, and has happened every time it has been wet since then (including this morning, although it wasn't raining on the way into work). This didn't used to happen before I had my crash in November, it was a nice bike to ride in the wet.

One of the main problems is lack of power (obviously), so as I crack open the throttle to make it move, it suddenly fires on all 4 and I pop a wheely while trying to weave through traffic :oops

Damp start etc. has been suggested, but that doesn't work either, all advice :wife (good, bad, taking the pi**) is welcome
Graeme
International Man of Mystery
Current Ride: GSX-R750

Post by Graeme »

I'd start by drying the spark plugs & HT leads to see if that cures it. Also check condition/gaps while they;re out.
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

Post by Commander_Flash »

I remember bandit Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) having a similar problem on his old bandit, when it was left lying around for a while not being used ,dampness seemed to creep in and get into the electrics, Canny remember what it was in the end...?
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Had a similar problem with my SP1. I found the only way to cure it was to trade it in for a Gay Blade :I can't believe it's not butter!
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

The fact that it's two cylinders down suggest coil to me. As it's only in the wet, then obviously some insulation is breaking down in or around it, more probably on the HT side.

Damp start will only displace the water. You can get some other stuff (can't remember what it's called) which actually puts a coating over the electrics. A bit messier, but may do the trick.

Try a plastic bag, some cling film or plenty of Darrens favourite vaseline. If that works, you've found the fault.