Dunlops

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

Dunlops

Post by Commander_Flash »

D207RR and D208 whats the difference ?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

one has an 8 at the end the other has 7RR !! :biggrin2 :biggrin2
Max Power
Scary biscuits

Post by Max Power »

I believe the 207 will be phased out very soon (end of the year) as the 208 is the new generation of Dunlop road/race tyre.
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

Does the 208 have the same performance/grip thought?
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

John, I have the 208's and they are really rather nice.

I believe the 207RR and 208 are similar in performance. Dunlop say the two can be mixed in any combination....so they must be pretty similar. Where the 208 stands out though is wet weather performance. they are VERY stable in the wet.

I got mune for £150 a pair, fitted at Silletts
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

I think 208s have replaced (or are replacing) the 207 and 207RR. They have the grip of the RR and the longevity of the standard 207s.

I had a pair on my VFR and yes, they were very good. However, even for £163 a pair from Silletts, I can't afford to replace my tyres every 3,000 miles. :???

Back to the trusty old BT020s. :scatter
Meep Meep
The Uneducated

dunlops

Post by Meep Meep »

207RR's are without doubt the best dunlop tyre you can buy for perfomance. i 'aint never found a stickier tyre in the dry. totaly transform a bike. downside being they don't last. i would have them on the 12R if i could afford a new rear evey month!!!
have 208's, even they eat up.
gonna switch next time....might try pirrelli or BT's....dunno yet.
MM
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

I have the 207RRs at the moment and have been using them for a couple of years now,
I'm very happy and dont want to chnge but if they are being phased out I will have no choice,
I dont want to compromise on grip hence the qestion is the 208 up to the same grip standards set by the 207RR
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Dickie, I have found the wear ok on them.

Flash, look at the dunlop website for info....I think you are after the 208GP, not the standard 208 that replaces the standard 207. Dunlop class the GP as a Supersport racing tyre. An RR replacement is not listed..so far....

From the site...."The latest in Dunlop's legendary line of Supersport racing tyres the Sportmax D208GP builds on the success of its predecessor D207GP. "

"New directional tread pattern with increased Land/Sea ratio reduces stepped wear
New tyre profiles improve steering response and increase contact area at high angles of lean
New softer compounds increase grip levels and aid rapid warm up "
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

Backs 400 wrote:Dickie, I have found the wear ok on them.

An RR replacement is not listed..so far....
Yeah, when I said "I can't afford to replace my tyres every 3,000 miles" that was a reference to me and my bike.

An RR replacement isn't listed because the 208 has replaced the 207 and the 207RR.
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

NEW D208 on the back , 2000 mile D207RR on the front, bike feels great, back heats up in no time, very happy :P
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

I had a pair of 208's fitted to the Bandit on Friday so will let you know what they are like once scrubbed in.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Graeme
International Man of Mystery
Current Ride: GSX-R750

Post by Graeme »

'Bike' mag did a test of sports tyres this month. The tester rode a variety of conditions without knowing what rubber he was on, and reviewed each tyre. It was on a GSXR750 as well, so highly relevant for little ol' me :I can't believe it's not butter!

Michelin Pilot Sports came out tops, they're a bit pricey though. Currently I'm using a Pilot Sport front, and Pilot Road rear. Laaaarvely :P :P :P
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

£150 for a pair of Dunlops is hard to beat though!
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

Graeme wrote:'Bike' mag did a test of sports tyres this month. The tester rode a variety of conditions without knowing what rubber he was on, and reviewed each tyre. It was on a GSXR750 as well, so highly relevant for little ol' me :I can't believe it's not butter!

Michelin Pilot Sports came out tops, they're a bit pricey though. Currently I'm using a Pilot Sport front, and Pilot Road rear. Laaaarvely :P :P :P
In my opinion the Dunlops were better in the wet, just by looking at the tread patters seems to confirm this, bigger patch of rubber on the michelins, fine in the dry, but this Aberdeen for Christs Sake!

On this note the D208 has a bigger patch of rubber (like the michelin sport) than the D207....BUT D208 has a bigger water channel groove....

Just thave to wait and see...
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

I have been using my bike in all this shizzle torential rain we have had in the last month and on the 750, the standard 208's have been great. The spray they kick up is impressive, which can only mean they are doing there job of sheading water.

One thing though...Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), have you noticed the tread on the front is in an opposite direction to that on the back...very strange!
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Backs 400 wrote:I have been using my bike in all this shizzle torential rain we have had in the last month and on the 750, the standard 208's have been great. The spray they kick up is impressive, which can only mean they are doing there job of sheading water.

One thing though...Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Super Nanny), have you noticed the tread on the front is in an opposite direction to that on the back...very strange!
Aye! But the 207RR's are like that as well. To me it looks the wrong way round but what do I know! :roll
derek955i
Direct Access

Post by derek955i »

I have recently put 208 gp on both ends and after yesterday's run which gave a little bit of everything as to surface conditions,they performed outstandingly.

Felt sure footed in the bends even when it was dinging down,tried spinning up the back on the straights at slow speeds and was well chuffed with traction :P

Spoke to Izz and he commented altho they heat up quick they cool off after a run very quickly,this was put to the test on Gix's yam with standard 208 and his was nice and warm and mine were cold :eek the wonders of modern rubber :-)
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

derek955i wrote:The wonders of modern rubber :-)
http://www.visit4info.com/watchad.cfm?i ... startrow=1
derek955i
Direct Access

Post by derek955i »

Hey Gazza,what's this safe sex thing??

I will stick with the dunlop's thanks :roll

:tung :tung
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

derek955i wrote:Hey Gazza,what's this safe sex thing??
You need to watch the vidoe to see the wonders of modern rubbers......

Broadband helps