My bike

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: 2007 Yamaha R.1

Re: My bike

Post by Yamahahaha »

coullstar wrote:Get some of that paint protection film for the leading edges of your fairings. I had a bike that was painted and it chipped like a MOFO. A lot more than normal.

Not a race rep fan myself (although I did own one :log ) but it should look tidy from what youve said. At least there wont be another on the go....you hope. ;)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAINT-PROTECTION- ... 27af5f9da7

Problem is I would need someone to fit it and I doubt anyone in Aberdeen would do it.
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Current Ride: StigBike

Post by brooner »

You can do it yourself - but it takes time, patience, warmth and a hairdryer....

Also when you spray water on the adhesive, its easier to have a weak lubricant in the solution so you can slide the sheet about to get it into position and then use the hairdryer to dry it out and make it more plyable when sticking it down. I used a very small amount of washing up liquid in water when I was putting decals on R/C car bodyshells, but there are 'proper' solutions available to do it. My other half put a ventureshield kit on her Gixxer, but putting on in winter in the garage wasnt the best idea....

Wear latex gloves when doing to make sure you dont leave fingerprints on the adhesive side.
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

brooner wrote:You can do it yourself - but it takes time, patience, warmth and a hairdryer....

Also when you spray water on the adhesive, its easier to have a weak lubricant in the solution so you can slide the sheet about to get it into position and then use the hairdryer to dry it out and make it more plyable when sticking it down. I used a very small amount of washing up liquid in water when I was putting decals on R/C car bodyshells, but there are 'proper' solutions available to do it. My other half put a ventureshield kit on her Gixxer, but putting on in winter in the garage wasnt the best idea....

Wear latex gloves when doing to make sure you dont leave fingerprints on the adhesive side.
Cheers, was thinking about taking the lower & middle panels off and doing them in the hoose. I was going to make a template of the top fairing, then cut as per the template.
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

Just bought some paint protection film just now. Nobody in Aberdeen sells or fits this stuff, possible part time job?? See how I get on with my bike first.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Cheers, was thinking about taking the lower & middle panels off and doing them in the hoose. I was going to make a template of the top fairing, then cut as per the template.

Just take all the pannels off that you are going to do .
Doing this type of job in the house in the warm and comfort the result will be much better any way.

It only takes 20 mins for me to strip all the plastics off of my R-6 (It does however thake me 2 years to get them back on but that is another issue)
There are only about 20 screws and 4 wing mirror bolts needed to be undone to take off the whole front fairing, doing it this way you also get the chance to lip the veenture shield (or other film) round into the holes for the lights.

If you want s shotty of a haynes book for the y2k R-6 then let me know.
Sheep24
Chopper
Current Ride: Kawasaki ER6supertwin & super stock 675R

Post by Sheep24 »

Yamahahaha wrote:Just bought some paint protection film just now. Nobody in Aberdeen sells or fits this stuff, possible part time job?? See how I get on with my bike first.
Tint-Haus does it up in Altens. We had a tiger done and it was a cracking job :2up
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish

Post by brooner »

Yamahahaha wrote:Just bought some paint protection film just now. Nobody in Aberdeen sells or fits this stuff, possible part time job?? See how I get on with my bike first.
The film the ventureshield guys showed us at the Bike Show a couple of years ago was impressive.
It was 'self healing' - up to a point anyway - but you could scrunch it up, then smooth it out and after a wee bit of heat was applied, it returned to 'as new'.
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

I could take the bike into the hoose!!! I will have to ask the wife first!!! Going to have a bash myself and hopefully it turns out ok. I tinted my shed windows many moons ago and did are ok job on them.

The paint protection film I ordered is 480mm x 1000mm would this be enough for the 6? I only want to cover lover, middle fairings & nose cone. If I have some left over I will protect a few more bits.
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish

Post by brooner »

Yamahahaha wrote:......will have to ask the wife first!!!.........I only want to cover lover
:eek
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

coullstar wrote:Get some of that paint protection film for the leading edges of your fairings. I had a bike that was painted and it chipped like a MOFO. A lot more than normal.
Paint flaking off sounds like a bad paint job. It shouldn't happen if the previous coat of paint is keyed in preparation for the next coat of paint.
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

Doofus he said chipping not flaking ;)

Chipping, as in stone chips, paint too thick and not enough plasticizer in it, usually a problem with wheels that have been painted and not powder coated, thick paint layers = very bad for stone chipping.
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

IZINBARD wrote:Doofus he said chipping not flaking ;)

Chipping, as in stone chips, paint too thick and not enough plasticizer in it, usually a problem with wheels that have been painted and not powder coated, thick paint layers = very bad for stone chipping.
Like I said... sounds like a bad paint job! ;)
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

Bike is serviced and all fairings have been primed. I should have the bike back next week. Pic's will follow.
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

UPDATE

Nose cone, undertray, seat unit & tank are all painted, loving stunning. Middle fairings & lowers getting done now, so he is hoping to have the bike ready for Monday/Tuesday. He assures me this bike will turn heads
JTC
Cumpy Grunt
Current Ride: ~~~~~~~
Ducati ST4 (SOLD)
Ducati 749 (SOLD)
CBR400RR NC29 (SOLD)
ZX10R -Lulu (SOLD -sob)
Sprint STD 1050 -Bertha (SOLD)
Ducati 848 - Lucia (SOLD)
Ducati Hypermotard 796
Ducati 748R - Bunty

Post by JTC »

Yamahahaha wrote:UPDATE

Nose cone, undertray, seat unit & tank are all painted, loving stunning. Middle fairings & lowers getting done now, so he is hoping to have the bike ready for Monday/Tuesday. He assures me this bike will turn heads

cant wait to see the finished article Barry
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

JTC wrote:
Yamahahaha wrote:UPDATE

cant wait to see the finished article Barry
Aye neither can I. Once the bike is finished I will be putting on the paint protection film. I also bought myself a Sprint Pro Damper Kit so that will be getting fitted. Next purchase will be new rearsets and maybe a new rear shock. When I saw the bike today I was amazed at the change and once its all back together it will be the dogs baas.
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

I was speaking to an old work buddy who has started his own photography business. I was telling him about my bike and he was very interested in adding something different to his collection. So looks like I will be getting free professional pictures of the bike once finished.

http://www.portra.it/
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

DONE, will get some pics up today.
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Why not post them up using Photobucket. Save us having to click all the links.
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

Coddy wrote:Why not post them up using Photobucket. Save us having to click all the links.
I had problems with photobucket and I can't be bothered resizing them.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

photo bucket is easy to do once you work it out.

always make sure that you load the pics up to PB so they are a small size innitially. :2up
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits

Post by Yamahahaha »

Zax wrote:photo bucket is easy to do once you work it out.

always make sure that you load the pics up to PB so they are a small size innitially. :2up
I used PB before and I had problems uploading pics. That why I used tinypics.
Flamedamper
Tube steak
Current Ride: Gsxr 750

Post by Flamedamper »

Coddy wrote:Why not post them up using Photobucket. Save us having to click all the links.
You don't need to open every link, once you open the first one just hit the next icon top right ;)
Flamedamper
Tube steak
Current Ride: Gsxr 750

Post by Flamedamper »

Yamahahaha wrote:Pics of the bike finished.

So what do you all think?
Looking really good Barry, Like I said before the red was the right choice, :2up see ya on the egg run if your going.