Faulty Yamaha lean angle sensor?

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Faulty Yamaha lean angle sensor?

Post by Dickie »

Long story, managed to lose the only key I have for my R 6. Managed to source a 2nd hand lockset and ECU (big thanks to Keith at Ecosse for putting me in touch with someone who had one) and fitted it. It's imobilising now but it's telling me the lean angle sensor's faulty. Never had a problem with it before but I suppose it could be a coincidence.

So, to the point. Does anyone have a modern (post-06) Yamaha I could try their switch from? It's under the seat on the R 6, just in front of the ECU so would only take 2 minutes to try.

Thanks in advance. :cheers
Grant
Panty Granty

Re: Faulty Yamaha lean angle sensor?

Post by Grant »

Is it showing fault code 30 or 41?
Dickie
Tank Slapper

Post by Dickie »

Hi Grant, it's showing fault code 41.

41 - Lean angle sensor: open or short circuit detected.

http://www.YZFR6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47022

Although I see fault code 30 relates to the lean angle sensor too. It doesn't look like it's a simple switch, the ecu is looking for a resistance within a certain range rather than closed or open circuit.

It's strange, because the part number for the 06 and 08 sensors are the same so I can't see how the sensor can be incompatible with the replacement ECU. Unless the wiring in the plug is connected in a different way. I'll go and check the existing loom against the 08 one.
Dickie
Tank Slapper

Post by Dickie »

Obviously that link won't work because of the hilarious forum software changing the R 6 to Mamba for some reason that maybe one or two people know.

Anyway, the sensor's showing a resistance - which changes - as I tilt it. So it looks like it's ok, as expected. I noticed that the 08 loom has 4 wires coming out of it's plug rather than the 3 on the 06 loom. I'm not sure if that's significant though, because the sensor itself only has 3 pins in it and, as I said, the part numbers are the same for both years.
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

Dickie, I'm just posting what I find just now.

Fault Code: 41
Diagnostic Code: 08
Symptom: Lean angle cut-off switch-open or short circuit detected.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective lean angle cut-off switch.
Malfunction in ECU.

I read somewhere that you need to reset it once you trip the lean over sensor. Can you get into diagnostic mode to be able to reset it?
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

I found this link which gives you details of how to disable the lean over sensor. I'm not saying you should do that, but the link has instructions (including pictures) of how to disassemble the sensor to see if there is something obvious there.

This is the part that activates the sensor. It has a small magnet/weight on the bottom side. This works similar to a pendulum.

http://www.Yamaha-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=480

A few things I would check:

1. Is the sensor fitted the correct way up? (sounds obvious!)
2. Maybe worth stripping the sensor as per the link above and giving the magnet on the sensor a clean
Dickie
Tank Slapper

Post by Dickie »

Thanks Grant. Been into the diagnostic mode and checked the values against the manual, they're outwith what they should be. Not sure if that's an ECU problem or a sensor problem. Cleared the codes from the diagnostics but the 41 keeps coming back.
Dickie
Tank Slapper

Post by Dickie »

Sensor's definitely in the right way. It was never out and it's marked 'top'. Have tried it every way up anyway, just in case.
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Im out of the country just now, so can't look at my 09 to see if it has 3 or 4 wires on it. It may be disabled being an ex race bike.
Might be worth phoning Bob Grant on how to disable it.

Does your bike have an EXUP eliminator on it?
Might be worthwhile getting one, about 40 quid, and it will tell the engine the EXUP motor is still attached and put of the engine management light if it stays on.
Dickie
Tank Slapper

Post by Dickie »

Thanks, got it sorted. Had to switch some wires at the ecu. The 07 loom is different to the 08 one so the connections are at different pins.

Doubt your sensor would be disabled, ACU rules are that a bike should cut out if the bike's on its side. Makes it safer for marshalls picking it up and the engine will be wrecked if it's run on its side for any length of time. It doesn't cut the engine off until it's right over at 90 degrees, so would never cut out mid-corner.

I think the bike must have an exup eliminator fitted. It has a full Arrow system and the light doesn't stay on usually.

Really pleased to have got it sorted. :hippy