vfr vtec rear shock

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
splattercash
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ducati 1098s

vfr vtec rear shock

Post by splattercash »

dont know if anyone else has had any problems with the rear shock on the vfr. mine descided to shizzle itself and spill oil everywhere wilst out on a run. it has been mentioned on other forums that the standard shock was crap and needing beef'd up if your doing a lot of two up and luggage. so if anyone knows if its possible to re-condition the knackered one locally so i can sell it as ive just bought a nitron replacement shock.
bill.m
Tube steak
Current Ride: KTM Duke, Honda VFR800 Vtec, Triumph Sprint STD 1050

Re: vfr vtec rear shock

Post by bill.m »

How strange..... I've got a knackered VFR shock lying around as well. Also my VFR has a Nitron replacement and it works very well. Haven't been able to find any one local to rebuild it but the guy that runs Dunfermline Motorcycles said he could almost certainly rebuild it as it was a Showa. Paul is well known for rebuilding MotoX shocks so should know what he is talking about.
splattercash
Direct Access
Current Ride: Ducati 1098s

Post by splattercash »

to be honest the nitron was one of the cheapest with prices going from 300 quid up to 700 for a ohlins but got great service and info from hps. did you fit it yourself ive taken the old one out by dropping it out the bottom of the swing arm just hoping the new spring isnt any bigger or else the whole lot will need to come off, not sure if its going to be cost effective with second shocks going for around 80 quid on ebay.
bill.m
Tube steak
Current Ride: KTM Duke, Honda VFR800 Vtec, Triumph Sprint STD 1050

Post by bill.m »

Yes bought Nitron as it was just about the cheapest. Went for the basic unit as it was £150 cheaper and I figured it would be a damn sight easier to go back in. I had the one with remote preload and it was a pig to come out. Ended up cutting the line to the remote resevoir and even then. Finally got a tip that jacking up the end of the swing arm till it hits the exhaust is the way to do it. A bit of tugging and I was in business. The new one went back in the same way with swing arm jacked up. Not the easiest job by a long way. Getting it to locate into the two holes under the tank took the patience of a saint. Then just connect the linkages at the bottom. Took about 3 hours total few sweary words and a couple of chips out of the blue paint on the spring but at least it was back in. The guy in Dunfermline reckoned about £120 to rebuild the Showa but I didn't see the point of getting it rebuilt as I wouldn't get my money back.