Battery charger help needed plz?

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Khauff
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha MT-01, Honda MSX

Battery charger help needed plz?

Post by Khauff »

Hi Guys/Gals,

Im looking at investing in a heavy duty battery charger. I already have an optimate but need something more commercial based. Especially when charging a new bike battery for its 1st initial charge which is vital as its not recommended to use an optimate so ive been told.

I need something like the ring rcb322 but that is not suitable for motorcycle 12v 12.0ah.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ring ... riant=1408

Can anyone put me in the right direction as when it comes to AH and AMPS it just throws me :???

Appreciate any help ;)
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Re: Battery charger help needed plz?

Post by airwave »

There is nothing vital on "Gel Cell" charges.
the only thing that hurts lead acid batteries is deep discharge (i.e. flattening the battery)
and even that isn't too bad if it's charged promptly after.

Lead acid is about the most bulletproof battery you can get.
holds lots of power but weighs a ton.

the things that kill our batteries are deep discharge (winter storage, where something is pulling current even with the ignition off, usually an alarm system)
and knackered regulators leading to overcharging / cooking of the batteries.

don't worry about it, any old trickle charger or boost / trickle charger and then run them in the bike.
change them out when they are goosed (the batteries)

don't cook them and don't flatten them, they'll be fine somewhere in the middle.
Khauff
Direct Access

Post by Khauff »

Cheers for the usefull info Airwave but sometimes you need to give a battery a wee extra boost to get the charging cycle going again thats why im looking into a heavy duty type.

I had a battery on a optimate once and it would not start my motorcycle. Placed it on heavy duty charger and after a few hrs she fired up ok and the battery is still going strong. That saved me over £100 on a new battery thats why im wanting to invest in a meatier charger.

;)
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

The Optimate will go into a "heavy duty" charge mode if it has tried to charge the battery normally a few times and it is still not holding a charge. You probably need to leave it on for 24hrs to give it a chance to do that though.

Failing that, here are a couple of links for the type of thing you are looking for -

http://www.carstyleplus.co.uk/Accessori ... rgers.html
http://www.gadgets-galore.co.uk/index.p ... tId=219488

£100 for a bike battery seems a bit steep to me. I'm a fan of the Westco gell bike batteries. They offer a higher cold crank capacity than standard lead acid batteries so are a good choice for big twins (Like the Aprilia 1000cc engine) and singles.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

You might want to think about a 4 in 1 jump starter. A self contained unit, ideal for starting a bike with a flat battery and after only a few miles your flat battery will be charged. You can use the compressor to pump up the tyres.

Khauff
Direct Access

Post by Khauff »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:The Optimate will go into a "heavy duty" charge mode if it has tried to charge the battery normally a few times and it is still not holding a charge. You probably need to leave it on for 24hrs to give it a chance to do that though.

Failing that, here are a couple of links for the type of thing you are looking for -

http://www.carstyleplus.co.uk/Accessori ... rgers.html
http://www.gadgets-galore.co.uk/index.p ... tId=219488

£100 for a bike battery seems a bit steep to me. I'm a fan of the Westco gell bike batteries. They offer a higher cold crank capacity than standard lead acid batteries so are a good choice for big twins (Like the Aprilia 1000cc engine) and singles.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)(master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Thanks for the usefull links mate. For Yamaha MT-01 gell battery £120 odd was the price I was quoted for a genuine one and £60 for non gen.

Something with limited space on them as well doesnt help which brings higher costs so I was told :(
Khauff
Direct Access

Post by Khauff »

missile wrote:You might want to think about a 4 in 1 jump starter. A self contained unit, ideal for starting a bike with a flat battery and after only a few miles your flat battery will be charged. You can use the compressor to pump up the tyres.

I honestly thought you couldnt use these on a Motorcycle battery for some reason :roll
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Khauff wrote:I honestly thought you couldnt use these on a Motorcycle battery for some reason :roll
I have used it several times with no ill effect :2up
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

Khauff wrote:
Thanks for the usefull links mate. For Yamaha MT-01 gell battery £120 odd was the price I was quoted for a genuine one and £60 for non gen.

Something with limited space on them as well doesnt help which brings higher costs so I was told :(
I fried 3 batteries on my MT01 all replaced by our local friendly dealer.
Eventually traced to a knackered Regulator (was charging at 18v :eek )
Motorcycles need 12v, and are not at all fussy about amps (as long as it's "enough" )
any cheap gell cell from Maplin will do at a push.

I have a Civic as a hire car here in the sandpit, has a toty wee battery (patently non standard) with the leads attached by self tappers. works well enough.
the only thing to be concerned about with modern Yamaha bikes is the security system, the ECU's can get fussy if they think the battery has been disconnected too many times (don't loose the RED key)