Rusty Brake Discs!!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Uponblocks
Direct Access

Post by Uponblocks »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (Super Nanny) wrote:Why don't you get a drum brake conversion done on the bike??? No more horrible rust to look at! :2up
And

get a couple of soccer cards and clothespegs off your mum and clip the cards to the spokes...... ;)
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

That don't work too well on a ZXR, only 3 spokes..but the new millie could be fun! :I can't believe it's not butter!
Jinx
Kwikasfuki
Current Ride: Superstock 09 ZX6R

Post by Jinx »

Right well i've decided to get new brake discs coz my ones are goosed so was wondering if I could get your advice on discs!!

I've been quoted £110 each for Hyperlite Stealths, has anyone used these before and are they any good??

Cheapest quote i've had for EBC Pro-Lites is £135 each but i've been told to stay clear from them coz apparently they are coated with zinc which knackers the pads and then the discs warp?! Anyone had this problem?

Cheers,
Joan
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

zxrbabe wrote:Right well i've decided to get new brake discs coz my ones are goosed so was wondering if I could get your advice on discs!!

I've been quoted £110 each for Hyperlite Stealths, has anyone used these before and are they any good??

Cheapest quote i've had for EBC Pro-Lites is £135 each but i've been told to stay clear from them coz apparently they are coated with zinc which knackers the pads and then the discs warp?! Anyone had this problem?

Cheers,
Joan
Who ever said that about the Prolotes has their head up their arse! I thouroughly recommend them.

The prolites have a zinc coating on them to stop them corroding in storage. It quickly wears off but you will have reduced braking farce till it does. What you can do is fit one side and wait for the pads to bed in and the coating to wear off and then do the other side.

Remeber you should be fitting new brake pads at the same time so that'll be some more £'s. If you go for the prolites then get the EBC HH pads.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker
Current Ride: 4 motion transporter or a pair of twintips

Post by yelloisfriedegg »

This may be a silly question but how much are genuine Kawaski discs ?
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

Genuine Kawasaki discs cost £191 each so thats a bit outta my price range!!

A few people have said ebc are good then i get told their crap then good again... aarghhh what do i do! :???
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

zxrbabe wrote:A few people have said ebc are good then i get told their crap then good again... aarghhh what do i do! :???
Stay off VisorDown and listen to those who have actually used them!!!
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker

But once you ask Bert for your Aberdeenbikers 10% discount thats them down to £172 each , only £37 a side dearer than EBC for peace of mind and discs you know are going to be right ;)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

yelloisfriedegg wrote:But once you ask Bert for your Aberdeenbikers 10% discount thats them down to £172 each , only £37 a side dearer than EBC for peace of mind and discs you know are going to be right ;)
Discount on yer pads & ebc disks as well if you're a member ;)
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker

If Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) says they are ok I'm sure he is right , I have never used them so could not tell you , I have however used EBC pads and found them not as good as OE pads , they tended to glaze up and faded with heavy use , this was on a ZXR750 with OE discs , maybe EBC pads and discs together would be better.

I know you posted this on VD the other day and you got mixed answers on there too , who originally told you EBC were no good , have they actually used them ? :roll
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

That was a price from McGowans by the way for Kawa Discs!!

My mate who's mate owns a bike garage in Aberdeen told me and said that his mate has used them several times and that is what happened to him.

:??? :??? :??? :??? :???
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

zxrbabe wrote:That was a price from McGowans by the way for Kawa Discs!!

My mate who's mate owns a bike garage in Aberdeen told me and said that his mate has used them several times and that is what happened to him.

Pilot error I guess.

Myself, Inzibard & Flash have all used them and have found no problems with them. ( Although Flash did moan cause his came with different coloured disk carriers :roll )

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

This topic has been discussed at length before on this and other sites. Opinions seem, devided. Pay your money and make your choice I guess
:oops

I used EBC because they were a bit cheaper (than *onda). Was very disappointed. I found the discs corroded very badly, so much so that the pads siezed onto the discs.

I seem to recall someone (Flash?) has a problem with Carbon Lorraine pad coming off the backing plate. IMHO it is best to stick to OME where the quality is (maybe?) better controlled. :nono Other than perhaps for race where the better friction properties of iron vs stainless gives better performance. On a 400 I guess this is not a major concern :P
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

zxrbabe wrote:That was a price from McGowans by the way for Kawa Discs!!

Well my mate's mate who has a mate who lives near some bloke who's mate used to know somebody who's mate owned a garage, says that this bloke has never tried them. But he might have a mate who has.

So he probably can't help you much, well not unless he can get hold of his mate anyway.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

I have just had a set of carbon loraine pads fitted to my YZFR6 and they are taking a while to bed in but they feel very good .

The only thing i find that is different from the OME is the sshhhhh noise that they make when you pull on the brakes.

Will let you know how i get on with them after a few more miles .
GOKU
Just Passed

me too

Post by GOKU »

i get that annoying shhhhh noise aswell on my bike i took my pads off gave them a little rub with wire wool to corse them up a little and the noise went away....for about a 2 days I can't believe it's not butter!
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

That noise is caused by friction.

Brakes + friction = :cool

Brakes - friction = :angel
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

I stopped the SHHHHH noise by coating the friction face with the fat and crap you get on the bottom of a grill pan. Now when I brake I get a nice smell of sausages and bacon :)

GOKU..if you have sintered pads I would be very worried if they did not go SHHHHHH ;)
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

;) I did kinda guess that it was the different material making the brakes go Shhhhhh..... :roll

I'll give them a good try out when i get back next week ....