Rusty Brake Discs!!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

I will use a spot of WD40 for cleaning my wheels asit is great for getting rid of any greasy marks.

However i did once get a splash on my disk ..... NIGHTMARE.. it was ages before the brakes were anywhere near as good as before.
That was just an accidental drip of the stuff that was wiped off quickly .
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

Joan, Scotchbrite is basically an industrial strength scouring pad :) I think I may have some at home if you need..need to have a look through my old gun cleaning stuff. Failing that, I have seen it in B&Q..a few quid for a pad. Just run the pad the same way as the disk turns. Rust comes of pretty quick. Check to see if the pads have rusted to the discs though..may have left a noticable "bump" where they may have bonded...

As for chain and sprokets..Busters are doing cheap o and x ring chains, but if you go for them, be careful as they are not the best quality. I personnaly think you are better off getting a decent chain having witnessed two broken chains on mates bikes. It leaves a right mess as the broken end whips round and takes the rear of the sump with it!

I had a gold X-ring D.I.D. chain with Renthal sprokets on mine. I think the kit is about £120. If you go for an OE plain O ring and sprokets from DID I think its about £89. I got mine from Breaking Point although mail order can be cheaper.

Good time to change your gearing by the way!! Get a sproket with one tooth less on the front ;)

Have fun!
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

i always spray the discs with wd40 to protect them when the bike is sitting for a while.... and yes when you pull away expect to have sod all breaking for a time but it does go away... though the rear brake takes a lot longer given it doesn't do so much work.

be warned about rust on discs, my puegeot 206 was sitting for about a month, when i took it out i was getting severe pulsing through the brake pedal, this was due to the pads corroding in some areas and not in other so you experience a cycle of good and bad breaking as the disc rotates, if you are able to get the discs off and want them skimmed or even polished on a lathe i have a mate in a work shop that could do it for you, no charge

if u r a student now i take it u aren't in shell anymore?

cheers

rustik
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Rustik (Reg Prescott) wrote:i always spray the discs with wd40 to protect them when the bike is sitting for a while.... and yes when you pull away expect to have sod all breaking for a time but it does go away... though the rear brake takes a lot longer given it doesn't do so much work
Doesn't the WD40 get absorbed into the sintered pads? I would imagine that full braking performance may never return. :???
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

maybe it does though i haven't noticed anything significant... i'll tell u in april when the bike comes out of hibernation... it should have absorbed about a gallon of WD by that time.

incidentally a vry very good cleaning fluid i got from a guy that deals with offshore stuff is something called jizer, it's water soluble unlike wd so once it disolves grime etc (and it really takes grease / oil etc off fast) you can just wash it away without dissolving your tarmac'd drive like i did with excess wd.. :oops
Jinx
Kwikasfuki
Current Ride: Superstock 09 ZX6R

Post by Jinx »

Well just been out on my bike and rust has come off a wee bit from the discs but no more than usual. Had a good look at them and i need new ones anyway cos they're all grooved!

I've sprayed wd40 on my chain, take it thats ok?

Rustik, i quit Shell back in September to go back to college full time!!
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Nooooooooooooooo...WD40 on the chain is not good!... Clean it off and get some proper chain lube (I can't believe it's not butter!), or nip round and you cna borrow some of ours..
Jinx
Kwikasfuki
Current Ride: Superstock 09 ZX6R

Post by Jinx »

Whoops, well it got me to my work ok this morning!! :???

I've got chain lube (I can't believe it's not butter!), just thought wd40 would be good for the rust on the chain!!
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

There are several theories that it buggers your chain..from it being a penetrating oil, so it forces out the oil in the rollers....too it eating the o-rings themselves. I really don't know, but certainly every bike mag says not to use it :)
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

At the end of the day WD-40 is not designed as a lubricant and therefore shouldn't be used as such :nono
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

Zathos wrote:At the end of the day it gets dark

:roll
The.Rev
Direct Access

Post by The.Rev »

Shrek wrote:
Zathos wrote:At the end of the day it gets dark

:roll
Yeah, but what if you work nights, the end of your day it's light :???
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

There is no light and dark......only shades of grey :hippy
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

NuttyTart wrote:
Zathos wrote:There is no light and dark......only shades of grey :hippy
Not today though, sun is oot, oh why why why couldn't it have been like this yesterday :(
Just back from South Africa and the weather's actually better here! Took both bikes out for a run to celebrate....Lovely jubbly
dale123
Knee Flapper

Post by dale123 »

Still jet lagged then Gazza?
Uponblocks
Direct Access

I take it you failed your GCSE geography then.....

Post by Uponblocks »

dale123 wrote:Still jet lagged then Gazza?
Being roughly on the same longitude as the UK the time difference isn't that great, plus or minus an hour I think.
:knob
Maybe a new career beckons - offshore surveyor perhaps?

:I can't believe it's not butter!
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Re: I take it you failed your GCSE geography then.....

Post by Gazza »

Actually....Yes. Nothing to do with the time diference (2 hrs), but a 12 hour flight and a 3 hour stop in Paris with an 18 month kid! :sleep
dale123
Knee Flapper

Re: I take it you failed your GCSE geography then.....

Post by dale123 »

Uponblocks wrote:
Being roughly on the same longitude as the UK the time difference isn't that great, plus or minus an hour I think.
:knob
Maybe a new career beckons - offshore surveyor perhaps?

:I can't believe it's not butter!

:2up
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Rustik wrote:i always spray the discs with wd40 to protect them when the bike is sitting for a while.... and yes when you pull away expect to have sod all breaking for a time but it does go away... though the rear brake takes a lot longer given it doesn't do so much work.
How about trying some of that Scott anticorosion stuff. It's apparently water based (although it does contain a slight amount of oil) and washes off with water. It does say on the bottle to avoid getting it on the brakes, but if you do to wash off with water.

It'd certainly be better than WD40 and a better corrosion resistor too. I seem to remember a test on this froum with some rusty washers or something and the Scott stuff came out well on top.

Still wouldn't put it on my discs, but if you want to it's up to you. I have a heated, de-humidified garage anyway :cool
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

as soon as my can of WD40 is finished I'll be getting some of that scott oiler stuff... Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) mentioned it on the phone tonight...

my draughty, unheated, small shed just don't cut it! at least it's dry i guess :2up
Gingerpose
Direct Access

Post by Gingerpose »

how about the old trick of soaking the disc in coke? the acid content is enough to remove the rust but won't weaken the disc itself. Does mean removing the disc (and believe me I know what a bitch of a job that can be) but it does work.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

If you're going to use coke then I've head that there is a good supply in Peterhead!!! :eek

As for the Scotoiler F365 Protector spray I've no complaints so far!! :up :up :up :up

For the first 2 lucky folk to buy a 5 litre refill from scotoiler I've got a couple of empty spray containers you can have!
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

[/quote] I seem to remember a test on this froum with some rusty washers or something and the Scott stuff came out well on top.
[/quote] Good old Flash Gone but not forgotten.

[/quote] Still wouldn't put it on my discs, but if you want to it's up to you. [/quote]
I find a liberal coating of grease stops the discs from corroding and the pads last much longer.
:nono
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

One could always do away with the rusty old things altogether. Just think how much easier it would be to clean the wheels for a start.

In order to stop, just dig your heels into the road and hang on tightly to the handlebars (probably better than a greased disc!) :I can't believe it's not butter! :I can't believe it's not butter!
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Why don't you get a drum brake conversion done on the bike??? No more horrible rust to look at! :2up