Moderators: al, Administrator

Fagin
Direct Access
Current Ride: 1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100D6
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer Spoked 1200
2016 Big Mans Wanger R1200GS Triple Black

Removing Helmets

Post by Fagin »

Whilst riding down to Perth to get my brother in laws Norton 961 Commando's first service we stopped at the Shell garage on King Street to fill up the bikes.

The forecourt had one or two cars on it when we arrived.

We both waited for the pumps to be switched on when the tannoy crackled into life and stated that we were not going to get fuel until we removed our helmets WTF????????

My brother in law took his off but I refused and flipped the front up, the woman in the shop still refused to serve me but a young Asian lad switched on the pump and I got my petrol :2up

When I went in to pay I still had my lid flipped up and had my scarf pulled down so my face was clearly visible, the woman gave me some verbal saying that I wouldn't get served if I came in like that again, so I politely said what would happen if a Muslim lady came in wearing a Burkha to pay for her petrol or diesel, would she be asked to take it off? The answer was obviously no and that the rules were direct from Shell and nothing to do with the garage regarding helmets.

I have quite a few good friends who are Muslim so am not rascist by any means, but surely its discrimination against bikers when this happens?

A strongly worded letter of complaint is being drafted to Shell. In 21 years of riding bikes this was the first time I had ever been asked to remove my lid when filling my bike :angryfire
bill.m
Tube steak
Current Ride: KTM Duke, Honda VFR800 Vtec, Triumph Sprint STD 1050

Re: Removing Helmets

Post by bill.m »

Yep sounds like the crazy woman that served me last week. Been going to that garage for years with no bother until last week. I asked her how I was supposed to know to take off my helmet as there are no signs on the forecourt, pumps or shop. After a lot of debate I simply advised her I would take my custom elsewhere.
BIGSTEVE
I can't believe it's not crotchbutter
Current Ride: Rocket 3 Roadster

Post by BIGSTEVE »

Ah so it was you Fagin! I was the guy who was in the blue focus next to you ;)
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

I have used the Petrol station a few times and have never been stopped while filling up.

There is neither rhyme nor reason to how I fill up, sometimes I will take my helmet and gloves off and other times I will keep it on while filling up in the forecourt. But I will always take my lid off when entering the shop. I don’t want to intimidate any one / show and disrespect. (As I have a full face lid)

But everywhere you go there are jobs worth’s getting there little power trips... If I’m not happy in the manner to which I am being spoken to you will be told... and I will take my custom elsewhere.

I do agree there should be more signage stating a company’s regulations should they want their practices adhered to though!

:hippy
BIGSTEVE
I can't believe it's not crotchbutter
Current Ride: Rocket 3 Roadster

Post by BIGSTEVE »

It's only just been enforced there within the last 4 months. I never used to take my lid off when going there but recently told my there staff that its now policy.
ChrisR1
Just Passed
Current Ride: Gixxer 750 K4

Post by ChrisR1 »

Save yourselves hassle and just go to a pay at pump.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

That has been going on for years. It always seems to be women who get stroppy, maybe it's PMT?
I had a stroppy woman (and I use the term loosely) who refused to accept payment until I took helmet off.
I said please yourself, if you don't want paid I will leave.
She changed her mind :hippy
Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

Theirs a lad that works in that station on here, whats his take on this :confused
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Post by Quicksilver »

ChrisR1 wrote:Save yourselves hassle and just go to a pay at pump.
That Shell garage has had the facility installed for ages but it's always 'temporarily' out of use. Perhaps if they got it sorted they'd save themselves the hassle of asking folk to remove their helmets.
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

had that this morning,.... pump was activated and got into the shop before being told I should really take my helmet off,... if the pay at pump worked however,....
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Fagin wrote: A strongly worded letter of complaint is being drafted to Shell. In 21 years of riding bikes this was the first time I had ever been asked to remove my lid when filling my bike :angryfire
Most of the Shell stations are franchises. I doubt Shell has much to do with running a garage and it'll be the owner of the franchise who sets the rules. You could always go back and do the coin game....

Get a large jar full of very small change. Go back with the car and buy 50 pence less fuel than there is in the jar. Walk in and empty said jar out onto the counter. Wait while she counts it (smile and tell her what a lovely day it is). It's legal tender so she can't refuse and she can hardly ask for the petrol back. Whilst she's in the process, ask her if she remembers you from the other day.

When she finally realises that there's not quite enough, say "Whoops! Never mind, I'll just use my credit card" and scoop all the money back into the jar.

Tell her you look forward to seeing her next week. :2up
baz
Direct Access
Current Ride: Street triple R

Post by baz »

Gazza wrote:
Fagin wrote: A strongly worded letter of complaint is being drafted to Shell. In 21 years of riding bikes this was the first time I had ever been asked to remove my lid when filling my bike :angryfire
Most of the Shell stations are franchises. I doubt Shell has much to do with running a garage and it'll be the owner of the franchise who sets the rules. You could always go back and do the coin game....

Get a large jar full of very small change. Go back with the car and buy 50 pence less fuel than there is in the jar. Walk in and empty said jar out onto the counter. Wait while she counts it (smile and tell her what a lovely day it is). It's legal tender so she can't refuse and she can hardly ask for the petrol back. Whilst she's in the process, ask her if she remembers you from the other day.

When she finally realises that there's not quite enough, say "Whoops! Never mind, I'll just use my credit card" and scoop all the money back into the jar.

Brilliant idea!

I think I will get £9.50 worth of 1p coins and keep them under the seat in the bike and pull this stunt if I get hassle for not removing my helmet
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

Gazza wrote:

It's legal tender so she can't refuse
[/quote]

It isn't and she can.
Fagin
Direct Access
Current Ride: 1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100D6
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer Spoked 1200
2016 Big Mans Wanger R1200GS Triple Black

Post by Fagin »

BIGSTEVE wrote:Ah so it was you Fagin! I was the guy who was in the blue focus next to you ;)
Yep it was me :log

The pay at the pump is always broken there, but even if it wasn't they still won't turn it on until you remove your lid :???

Gazza wrote:

The woman quite clearly said that it was Shell rules and not the garage so I am going to see what Shell has to say about it.

I like the coin idea :log
Yarek
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Kwak Z1000sx

Post by Yarek »

Weird - I had this today, only filled up without a problem, then when in the shop I handed her cash and the stroppy woman said "You should have removed your helmet coming into the shop". I just replied "Oh right" and walked away. I did think about using the Burka argument at the time, but I was in a rush.

Was a BP garage btw.
pharis
Baw Bag
Current Ride: R1200RS, Z1000SX

Post by pharis »

Got the same crap in both Shell stations on Wellington road. Some poop about not being able to tell if you are old enough to draw fuel. Just a mad little power trip for the muppets behind the counter.
As Gazza says, they are franchised, they don't give a poo as even if we take all our fuel custom somewhere else it will make a negligible dent in their profits.

Asda, pay at pump, even though the Shell stations are closer.
baz
Direct Access
Current Ride: Street triple R

Post by baz »

It is shocking how the shell garages in town can't seem to get the pay at pump to work when asda, tesco and even the shell in Alford can all manage it.
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Dickie wrote:
Gazza wrote:

It isn't and she can.
I beg to differ. Coins are legal tender.

Do explain.
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

Gazza wrote:
Dickie wrote:
Gazza wrote:

It isn't and she can.
I beg to differ. Coins are legal tender.

Do explain.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/shortcu ... -1p-and-2p

Just the first google hit I got...
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

pharis wrote:if you are old enough to draw fuel.
how do you draw fuel,..... wavy lines....like water? budum tish!
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

haiax0 wrote: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/shortcu ... -1p-and-2p

Just the first google hit I got...

Well bugger me!

In that case, fill the car up with let's say £75 worth of fuel as follows:

20p in 1p coins = 20 coins
£5 in 5p coins = 100 coins
£9.60 in 20p coins = 48 coins
£60 in £1 coins = 60 coins

That'll be £74.80 and a total of 228 coins to go through before she realises you're short the last 20p. :log
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Gazza wrote: That'll be £74.80 and a total of 228 coins to go through before she realises you're short the last 20p. :log

and then say "sorry", take the change back and pay by credit card :biggrin2
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Dave wrote:
Gazza wrote: That'll be £74.80 and a total of 228 coins to go through before she realises you're short the last 20p. :log

and then say "sorry", take the change back and pay by credit card :biggrin2

Oh of course. Absolutely refuse to let her forget the last 20p. :2up
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Hate returns more hate ;)

Be the bigger person and break the cycle :hippy

P.S. these franchise operations make no profit on fuel sales. Their money comes from the food / extras they sell. Filling up is just to get you in the door from their perspective. So forcing removal of the helmet will 'in their eyes' encourage you to look around the shop for that extra purchase.

Personally I have no problem taking my helmet off, of course I will place said smelly dirty helmet on top of the nice clean pile of papers they usually have filling the counter space. Works even better in the rain.
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Zathos wrote:Hate returns more hate ;) .....

Personally I have no problem taking my helmet off, of course I will place said smelly dirty helmet on top of the nice clean pile of papers they usually have filling the counter space. Works even better in the rain.

What was that you said about hate? ;)

Personally I refuse and will always find somewhere else, given the choice. If the attendant can't even bother their butt to be polite, then they'll get the coins.