Removing Helmets

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Re: Removing Helmets

Post by haiax0 »

Contentious to say maybe... but as a matter of principle I try to remove my full face lid as an act of courtesy to other people I might be interacting with.

I don't have to do it, and I don't believe it causes any harm if I where to leave it on etc.

Being Mr Grumpy I don't deal with confrontation at the best of times so it is easier if i just avoid it and not give any one reason to get my back up. :log :hippy
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

I would imagine after an incident involving non local 'bikers' last year many of the local filling stations will want yer mug on camera, just in case you get jumped by some angry 4*4 drivers ;)
Graeme
International Man of Mystery
Current Ride: GSX-R750

Post by Graeme »

It just so happens I got a survey card from Shell last time I filled up my car. Seeing as I had still had a bee in my bonnet I had a go at them. This is the response, key points in bold.
I am writing in reference to your survey comments made on 4th April 2014 regarding your visit to Shell Cocket Hat Sth. Your feedback and communication is always appreciated.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 requires that Shell holds a petroleum licence, issued by the local petroleum licensing authority, at each Shell owned site in order to be able to carry on business there. One of the conditions of the licence is that we must not supply petrol to anyone under the age of 16.

Shell is therefore required to take all reasonable steps to establish that any person attempting to operate the petrol dispensing system or purchase petrol is indeed over the age of 16. A visual check of all customers (not just motorbike riders) is made before the pumps are authorised. Because we have so many sites across the country, we have to put in place standard processes which are easy for site staff to understand and follow. One of our standard, mandatory rules is that site staff must ask all motorbike customers to remove their helmets, so that their whole face can be clearly seen from inside the console area and a visual check made to verify that they are over 16.

We are advised by the authorities that they are concerned about the anti-social behaviour of some children on mini-motorbikes. Arson can also a problem in some areas. A link between the two issues is the sale of petrol, and other accelerants, to children. Petrol retailers can help combat these problems by ensuring that no one under the age of 16 buys petrol, or other accelerants.

From time to time, the local petroleum licensing authority makes random checks at petrol filling stations to ensure the licence holder is complying with the conditions of their licence. Indeed, the local petroleum licensing authority have been known to use under 16 year old “test buyers”, sometimes even wearing motor bike helmets, to try and buy fuel. Were site staff not to make proper visual checks of all customers, and accidentally make a sale to an under 16 year old, Shell would be guilty of breaching its licence conditions and could be fined, or even lose its licence and be unable to carry on business at that site altogether.

Our policy is not discriminatory, it is merely part of Shell’s compliance programme as a responsible fuels retailer. Fuel is an age restricted product and Shell takes its compliance obligations under the law seriously.

We respect female customers' right to wear face coverings for religious reasons and would check their age by asking to see their documents, if the CA was in doubt. A religious hijab or burqa is not comparable to a motorcycle helmet.

Another reason for asking motor bike customers to remove their helmets is to deter drive-offs. A motorbike customer without a helmet could then be identified on our CCTV system in the same way as any other customer.

We hope you are able to support our efforts to remain compliant with the law by taking a moment to remove your helmet when visiting Shell sites.
So it appears that the main reason revolves around age verification and identification prior to fuel delivery.

If the fuel has already been delivered then tough - the staff have already failed to follow company procedure. :deal
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

The fact that you are inside the petrol station money in hand means that you are not committing a "drive off".

The last time I checked you need to be 17 to hold a driving licience. :confused
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
The last time I checked you need to be 17 to hold a driving licience. :confused
I don't need to check, one can get a licence at 16...trust me, I have a 15 year old telling me this (in many forms) many times a week !
Graeme
International Man of Mystery
Current Ride: GSX-R750

Post by Graeme »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:The last time I checked you need to be 17 to hold a driving licience. :confused
True, but any Junior Ned could still try and get a jerry can filled.

My old man once got a verbal ticking off for letting me work the pump at the old BP garage in Ellon when I was about 14 :log
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Even through the darkest visor you can tell I'm more than 16 :log
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Gazza wrote:Even through the darkest visor you can tell I'm more than 16 :log