Digital Gear Indicator

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Digital Gear Indicator

Post by Shrek »

Just fitted a datatool digital gear indicator to the 600. :P
Top toy works well. A bit daunting having to cut in to the bikes loom but worth it
:up

P.s there is a guy selling them on ebay, they can be picked up for around £35
Gingerpose
Direct Access

Post by Gingerpose »

Gonna explain to me what that's for? I've heard of them but am baffled as to how they benefit you (but then I would happily ride along in 17th if I had it, I'm constantly trying to change up from top!) :boing
derek955i
Direct Access

Post by derek955i »

It;s quite simple really,does at it says on the tin ;)

If you find yourself hunting for gears,or if you have lost track as to where you are, now instantly available by a LED counter

Truck loads of them been sold since they were developed,so they must work,are available for mechanical and electronic speedo's

Mechanical are quite a bit dearer

Great for shaving a few miliseconds off track times :P
BuzzOff
Direct Access

Post by BuzzOff »

Or you could try counting your gears. Can you count to six Scotty?
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

What a fantastic idea
:idea
Maybe I’ll just throw my watch away and count time all day as well

One Mississippi…….. Two Mississippi………. Three Mississippi…….. Four Mississippi
:roll
BuzzOff
Direct Access

Post by BuzzOff »

Actually they are quite good. Don't know why manufacturers don't build them into the dash on new bikes.

Did you have to run the bike on a stand to set up the sensor?
Only reason I ask is Im supoposed to try& fit one to the misses V-Raptor (even though she'll probably be able to do a better job than me, as shes more mechanical than I am!!, but you've got to try now havent you!)
Last edited by BuzzOff on Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

A bit of a gimmick, but I guess it could be useful for track days. I always seem to loose track of what gear I am in. Maybe it's Altzhiemers, guess I should stick to wearing pipe and slippers :P
chaos
Outstanding!
Current Ride: FJR 1300

Post by chaos »

Buzz wrote:Actually they are quite good. Don't know why manufacturers don't build them into the dash on new bikes. Surely wouldn't cost a lot.

You used to get them on the old Squeezuky "Katana", but anyone who had one got slagged for being unable to count to 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
silverburn
Direct Access

Post by silverburn »

pah. who needs it.

the SV has 8 gears - 7th and 8th just happend to have exactly the same ratio as 6th. :I can't believe it's not butter!
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

I doubt there's anyone out ther that doesn't occasionally go for the extra gear. :??? I don't have one, but wouldn't mind one incorporated into the dials. An add on may look a bit ugly though.

Although they may have benefits for some people on the track, that's the one place where I really concentrate on my gears, counting up and down before and after every corner. I would find it more useful on the road to be honest. A luxury for the lazy mabe, but then the same could be said about mirrors or indicators.
pnm_sco
Direct Access

Post by pnm_sco »

i had one on the ZX6 as my first bike, was great but seem to know better now which gear im in maybe i learnt to count, but yes would be good to have one factory fitted
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Time to resurrect an old thread!

Post by al »

I find my self constantly trying to change up gear on my bikeonly to find the gear lever doesn't move then I try it again just to be sure! Could do with one fo those myself!

The one on Shreks bike is so visible from behind ( and just off the the left ) that it can become quite ditracting to see that he is in 6th gear, I am in 3rd and he is still able to pull away from me!!! :eek
dale123
Knee Flapper

Post by dale123 »

I dont use one, but the only bit they lack for me, is that you have to drop the clutch for it read which gear its in.

If it could diplay as you changed down, it would work for me.
missile
Candle in the wind.

Post by missile »

I understnd this gismo changes indicator as you operate gear lever, so what happens if you miss a change? Will it read wrong gear, which would be inconvenient on the road, but could be a disaster on the track :roll
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Missile (Spanish Fly) wrote:I understnd this gismo changes indicator as you operate gear lever, so what happens if you miss a change? Will it read wrong gear, which would be inconvenient on the road, but could be a disaster on the track :roll
It hooks onto the feed for the speedo and the feed for the rev counter and uses the ratio of speedo pulses V rev pulses to calculate what gear you are in hence why it will only give you a correct reading once the clutch is out and you are riding in a gear and even then it'll probably take a couple of seconds recalculate what gear you are in.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Missile (Spanish Fly) (Spanish Fly) wrote:I understnd this gismo changes indicator as you operate gear lever, so what happens if you miss a change? Will it read wrong gear, which would be inconvenient on the road, but could be a disaster on the track :roll
It hooks onto the feed for the speedo and the feed for the rev counter and uses the ratio of speedo pulses V rev pulses to calculate what gear you are in hence why it will only give you a correct reading once the clutch is out and you are riding in a gear and even then it'll probably take a couple of seconds recalculate what gear you are in.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Just what i was about to say ;)
I find it very handy now and wouldn't have a bike without it especially for the track :-)
Bubbles
Direct Access

Gear Indicator

Post by Bubbles »

There was one of these gear indicators on the bike I sat my CBT on, I found it very helpful.
Bubbles
Direct Access

Post by Bubbles »

Last edited by Bubbles on Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
D3LS M
Late Braker

Re: Gear Indicator

Post by D3LS M »

Bubbles wrote:There was one of these gear indicators on the bike I sat my CBT on, I found it very helpful.
So good you told us twice. :I can't believe it's not butter!
D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

Shrek wrote:
I find it very handy now and wouldn't have a bike without it especially for the track :-)
Shock horror me and shrekie agree on something. :I can't believe it's not butter!
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

R2D2 wrote:
Shrek wrote:
Shock horror me and shrekie agree on something. :I can't believe it's not butter!
I didn’t think you were happy with your one judging by the negative feedback you left when you couldn’t get it to work?? ;)
missile
Candle in the wind.

Post by missile »

Thnks for the info Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

Has anyone tried an electronic shifter. Should shave at least 0.01sec of your Knockhill lap time :P
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Missile (Spanish Fly) wrote:Thnks for the info Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

Has anyone tried an electronic shifter. Should shave at least 0.01sec of your Knockhill lap time :P
Just get a big V-Twin and you won't have to change gear at all!!!!
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

Never actually tried one but there was a guy at Croft with one on a ZX10.

It did sound nice going past on the straight :worthy
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Shrek wrote:Never actually tried one but there was a guy at Croft with one on a ZX10.

It did sound nice going past on the straight :worthy
a V-Twin on a ZX10 ???? :eek