Bike Serviced

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Jinx
Kwikasfuki
Current Ride: Superstock 09 ZX6R

Bike Serviced

Post by Jinx »

Put my bike in for a service last week to Breaking Point. This is the first time i've had in services in 2 1/2 years :eek so need some advice!!

Anyway i reckon i've got a sticky throttle as its revving like an idiot, even when i let the throttle off to change gear so i'll get them to sort that.

But its also making a horrible tapping noise and its sounding a bit like a tractor so this must be something to do with the spark plugs. Is one of them dodgy or have they not tightened them enough or will the noise just go after running it for a while???

Cheers!
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker
Current Ride: 4 motion transporter or a pair of twintips

Post by yelloisfriedegg »

Take it straight back , it sounds like they have botched the job :roll
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

Thought so!

Cheers :-)
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

The mechanic rides a zxr 400.

Never had a problem there...but I have never had the bike serviced there..only things like chain and sprokets etc.

Wont be a sticky throttle as the throttle has two cables...one to open and one to shut..if that makes sense. Possibly air getting in to the carb..which may have something to do with the "tractor" bit too.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Backs 400 wrote:Wont be a sticky throttle as the throttle has two cables...one to open and one to shut..if that makes sense. Possibly air getting in to the carb..which may have something to do with the "tractor" bit too.
Sorry to disagree with you Backs :( but that simply means there are two cables which could be sticky. Obviously without seeing the bike one cannot be certain, possibly one (or both I can't believe it's not butter!) has been badly routed during the "service". What is certain is that any COMPETENT mechanic would test a bike after service and the faults described should have been very obvious and probably just as easy to diagnose and repair
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker

Backs 400 wrote:
Wont be a sticky throttle as the throttle has two cables...one to open and one to shut..if that makes sense.
It should still close on the spring return , something is wrong if it is sticking open :roll
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

I took it back into Breaking Point yesterday and it turned out one of the funny noises was coz he had adjusted my chain and with my chain being pretty knackered it wasn't catching the front sprocket properly - something like that anyway!!

Its still revving like an idiot, i've been fiddling with the idle and sometimes its ok then next its not :roll

I'll be putting it back in this week sometime when i get my new chain and sprockets delivered so hopefully everything will get sorted then!!

Apparenting my clutch bearing is knackered too hence another dodgy noise its making!!

As for the tractor type noise, its not quite as bad and at high speeds (60 - 70mph ;) ) you dont notice it but at slower speeds it sounds like when your just away to run out of petrol but thats not it coz its full!!

As for Breaking Point i have no worries taking it in there and getting them to sort things coz they are great guys unlike most bike garages round here. In my opinion anyway :2up
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker

I hope these great guys bring you flowers when they come to visit you in ARI , riding a bike with all the faults you have listed is mad , I don't care how skint you are , walk 'till it's sorted :I can't believe it's not butter!
derek955i
Direct Access

Post by derek955i »

mmmmmm,sounds very strange :(

Not a good idea to be riding it if the throtte has a habit of sticking on :nono

If the clutch bearing was duff why was it not mentioned when you picked the bike up initially????

If your to put it back in then make a note prior as to what the problems or noises are and make sure that there fixed prior to picking the bike up next time.

Or you can get a second oppinion ;)
missile
Candle in the wind.

Post by missile »

Seems like we only got half a story. Sounds like it may have been her fault for meddling with things she don't understand? :eek
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

I tried adjusting the idle after it had been in the garage, it was fine before then. I've tried adjusting it coz it either idles too high or low when i've stopped. Thought that was a bit of common sense :knob
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

zxrbabe wrote:I tried adjusting the idle after it had been in the garage, it was fine before then. I've tried adjusting it coz it either idles too high or low when i've stopped. Thought that was a bit of common sense :knob
Sounds like a sticky throttle to me then. Have a quick look at the cables and it they are ok then it could just be the twist grip itslef that is just a bit sticky on the clipon.

Tractor noises from the engine are not good especially if it has been just worked on.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)
missile
Candle in the wind.

Post by missile »

Either they did a poor job of servicing it, or you been meddling and fucked it?

Breaking Point may be cheap, but if this is typical of their work ......
Never heard of any other garage sending a bike out with so many faults after a "service" and I don't understand why you are singing their praises. Maybe got a thing for men in overalls? ;)
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

Bike running fine, put it in for service get it back and its running like poo. Take it back and they sort most of the problem there and then and will look at it when i take it back in later.

Bike now running much better but still having problems with revving. I have 'meddled' with the idle, which has seemed to help but not sort the problem.

Not got a thing for men in coveralls. Just appreciate being spoken to normally rather than being spoken to like some silly little girlie biker which i can assure you i'm not by people like yourself Missile.
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Aaaaaaaaaactually..I had a bike returned to me very recently from a well known Aberdeen dealer...one of the £40+ an hour lot that had loose head bearings, a faulty kill switch and poor idling....so its not just "back street" places that put bikes out without testing.

As for the throttle..the cables actually pull the thing open or shut (alledegly), so sticking is not normally a problem...however, my old ZXR also sat at high revs once the throttle had been shut..taking several second to settle down. It is a problem with older models and its listed on the ZXR forums on a regular basis. It seems to be something to do with air getting into the carb either through leaking gaskets or possibly worn needles. No one has really come up with an answer.

As for a worn clutch bearing...pull in the clutch..the noise will go possibly....more likely to be worn clutch basket..a known problem with higher milage models. If it is the bearing..pretty easy and quick to fix.

Tractor noise...just a thought...have you lost a nut on the header pipes. A loose header pipe will make the thing sound crap....just a thought.
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker

zxrbabe wrote:Bike running fine, put it in for service get it back and its running like poo. Take it back and they sort most of the problem there and then and will look at it when i take it back in later.

This is not a very good advert for Breaking point , Rustik should be telling you off too :roll

Seriously though , why you are risking riding a bike with a sticky throttle (and why they let it leave the workshop with it) baffles me , take the bike back and leave it there 'till it's sorted , the food at ARI is pants , ask Scooby ;)
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

Yip thats whats happening now with the revs now, takes a while to settle. Like i said i'll get them to check it out.

As for the clutch the noise goes when its pulled in and again they are checking it out when i take my bike in. Should be an easy enough job.

As for tractor noise, its more or less gone, dont know what happened there but its settled down now!
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker

Backs 400 wrote:As for the throttle..the cables actually pull the thing open or shut (alledegly), so sticking is not normally a problem....
No they don't , the throttle return springs should close the carb slides , unless there is too much friction in the cables for the springs to overcome , or it could be crap in the twistgrip not allowing free movement

It may be as simple as the mechanic has used the wrong lubrication in the throttle cables , some cable liners are not supposed to be lubricated and putting oil down them damages the lining and makes the cable stick , with a bike as old as Joans there is no way of telling what cables have been fitted :roll

If you open the throttle , let go and the twist grip does not return to closed on it's own something is wrong.

The slow rundown on overrrun which you describe your bike doing is bad carburation or clogged jets , this would tend to happen more to older bikes or bikes which have been badly serviced or where the carbs have not been balanced correctly :nono
Jinx
Kwikasfuki

Post by Jinx »

The twist grip does return to closed on its own....
missile
Candle in the wind.

Post by missile »

zxrbabe wrote:Not got a thing for men in coveralls. Just appreciate being spoken to normally rather than being spoken to like some silly little girlie biker which i can assure you i'm not by people like yourself Missile (Spanish Fly).
I can assure you my comment had nothing to do with you being a girlie. I am all for women's lib, IMHO girls deserve equal treatment but not special treatment and you did kinda ask for it.............

Guess you will not appreciate the latest addition to the gallery :I can't believe it's not butter!
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker

Missile (Spanish Fly) wrote: Guess you will not appreciate the latest addition to the gallery :I can't believe it's not butter!
I think she need ironing :eek
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Sorry..clarify that..yes..springs do indeed close the throttle..but by physically closing the throttle on the bar, the cables return to there position, therefore allowing the spring to close the throttle..does that make sense?...it dont to me.. :I can't believe it's not butter!
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

If you took the spring out and turned the throttle it would stay in the same position :roll
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Correct :???

But a sticky cable would not affect it..thats what I am trying to say.
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

Would not effect what ?