aaawwwwwww........... shizzle!!!!!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
rustik
Direct Access

aaawwwwwww........... shizzle!!!!!

Post by rustik »

just finished taking off alloy can to replace with lurvely shiny new titanium.... looked down exhaust and saw this!!!! :eek

anyone got any bright ideas? :( bike is bandit 12, R reg, 12,000 miles (10,500 last year, garaged previously). When lifting the zorst up and looking down (as best i could as it is S shaped) appears that this inner tube is broken in two places, half way down, just downstream of some holes / perforations similar to inside of can, and at this end visible. Not sure which happened first... i.e. welds visible went and then broke at holes halfway down or other way round. I would be inclined to think that it was halfway down first (as closer to engine and unburnt fuel?) and then vibration caused fatigue and failure of welds visible.

i would like to know what might have caused the welds to crack and the inner tube to come away? note that my current can (ART race) replaced the stock one and does have a tendancy to pop and fart on the over-run... might this be causing unburnt fuel to combust in the zorst and hence overpressure the welds? If I can find the root cause i could hopefully prevent it from happening to the next one!

comments / advice welcome... off to ebay for a search and call breaking point in the morn!!!

boo hoo :cry
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Corrosion ! Pure and simple.

My thoughts would be to gut the tube, get any drainage holes in the outside of it welded and get it back on the bike. I'll just be like any interconnecting pipe on a normal race can and free-er flowing because of it!

Don't worry about the pops and bangs on overrun, it's normal. Your bike will do that with the standard can on except you wont nocise it as much.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Drill out the area highlighted in yellow and just get medieval on it's ring piece!!

IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

And once you have done that, have a look at all the goodies in here that you can use to rebuild it :boing

http://www.aa16.co.uk/a16exhaustparts.htm
Laughingboy
Direct Access

Post by Laughingboy »

Rustic...

As far as I can remember the 1200 has a secondary silencer fitted in the intermitant pipe. So I would agree with the otheres and hack the fecker out of there!

Bandits are prone to this sort of corrosion, especially at the collector. But if that needs replacing give me a shout, I know a fella near Aberlour that will fix it for you for under £30 sheets. He fixed my 600 and made a beutiful job! even polished the downpipes while he was at it! :boing

He also does some wicked stainless exhausts and plenty of polishing, rims, swingarms that sort of thing. The comapny name is Bugfab and i'll be damed if I can remember the flipping number!! but I can find it if it would be of any use to anyone. ;)
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

so the consensus is, hack it out as it will free up more power as it's an intermediate silencer.....

well alrighty then!!!!!!!!! :2up

i remember someone telling me about intermediate zorst stuff on the bandit... i was basically assuming the inner pipe was taking the pressure etc.... but if there are holes in it... the outer pipe must also be seeing the same pressure... :oops

thanks for the advice dudes.... gonna get funky with a drimmel later!

ouch :eek

laughing boy, thanks for the tip about the polishing dude.... will give him a call when everything is groovy again.

now i have to try and get the rusted remains of the clamp bolt off following having to hacksaw the fecker!!!
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

Laughingboy wrote: He also does some wicked stainless exhausts and plenty of polishing, rims, swingarms that sort of thing. The comapny name is Bugfab and i'll be damed if I can remember the flipping number!! but I can find it if it would be of any use to anyone. ;)
I'd be interested in getting my rims polished as they are flaking badly after several salty runs. I was thinking of getting them poder coated, but they have newish bearings in them and really can't be bothered to strip them out and fit new ones afetr the coating process. If you could let me know the number (could not find in the book) I would be very grateful.
Laughingboy
Direct Access

Post by Laughingboy »

Found it! :-)

The names Derek Brewster and he stays in Craigalichie (I think thats the spelling! :oops )
An I was right, the company is Bugfab.

Tel: 01340 871097 or 07787 550369

But phone him in the evening as he works during the day and this bike stuff is a kinda evening business come hobby afair!

As I said, he fixed my collector for next to nothing and the work was great! In fact I'm going up there soon to get a new exhaust made as well.

Rustic, He makes braces for swingarms which look dead cool on the 1200 (hes got one as well see!)

And guess what Izzy....he makes trailers according to his ad!
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

now you really shouldn't have told me any of that.... :2up

the girlfriend can kiss goodbye to here holiday this year methinks... and i can kiss goodbye to my steak and up the arse day! :I can't believe it's not butter!
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Is that in as up by Aberlour??
IZINBARD
Mr Angry

Post by IZINBARD »

Right then rustik, looks like a good plan for a run up to Craigalichie for a wee looksee what do you think. :2up
thanks Laughingboy
Izz,
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

bought a dremmel lookalike from B&Q yesterday, got a flexible arm about 2 foot long so can get in to cut off the clamp that is tack welded on.... was only 20quid, they are on special down from 30 :2up , great gizmo that should also allow connection of polishing pad to really get the bike looking good. sod valentines... i will be out in the shed furiously trying to fix the zorst. you reckon i could get away with stuffing it back into the collector without any zorst sealant or is it best to err on the side of caution? just desperate to get out on the bike... why is it always good weather why the bike is off the road....:evil

defo up for a run to craigawotsits..... you'll have to wait for me after any corners izz :oops :knob
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Rustik..that wee dremmel thing is a whizz for cleaning calipers etc...trouble is, they never seem to have the wee different heads in stock...but the dremmel ones will fit if you get a bigger collet for the chuck.
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

comes with two different sized collets :2up
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

I know :I can't believe it's not butter! :I can't believe it's not butter! :I can't believe it's not butter! ..the two sizes that DONT fit the dremmel heads..I can't believe it's not butter!!!!

I think I was only a pound for the correct size...won't break the bank :-)
rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

if it's not one thing it's another :(

and it is up by aberlour...Craigellachie.... i am working out the route in yahoo at the mo.... (I'm crap at finding my way around here... even after 4 years)

looks like a good run.... :cool
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Oh yes..might have a run out there in a few saturdays time to see about my rims.
IZINBARD
Mr Angry

Post by IZINBARD »

Post the link once you work out your route, Saterday or Sunday.
Maybe we should phone the guy and let him know we are coming. :P
Izz,
IZINBARD
Mr Angry

Post by IZINBARD »

rustik
Direct Access

Post by rustik »

got the zorst fitted today, and took her for a spin... sounds like the ART but looks a million times better... blowing slightly from the join at the collector :nono .... didn't use any sealant so will need to do some small adjusting (i.e. plug with sealant).

can't make this weekend izz, uni coursework due tuesday... can't find the question at the moment :oops

maybe next weekend if weather good and get a day pass?

would recommend to anyone thinking about a cheap can. off to dream about getting the knee down (only way i will manage).
silverburn
Direct Access

Post by silverburn »

rustik wrote:off to dream about getting the knee down (only way i will manage).
I wouldn't worry about it; weather so shizzle, and the crap on the roads (well, down here at least) = bolt upright everywhere. I even lit the rear up in 3rd today blasting past the 'lax-power' boyz just past a petrol station - another truck driver with some fresh air for a petrol cap I see...

The edges of my tyres and the sliders haven't touched tarmac in months, but I always was a big girl when the surfaces were less than ideal.

Who knows though? Will try to make the run next weekend (Feb 23rd), and if the weather's good... ;)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

rustik wrote:got the zorst fitted today, and took her for a spin... sounds like the ART but looks a million times better... blowing slightly from the join at the collector :nono .... didn't use any sealant so will need to do some small adjusting (i.e. plug with sealant).
Use some silicon sealant or some high temperature silicone gasket stuff out of Halfords. Seals small gaps, remains flexible and makes changing the exhuast at MOT time a doddle.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Laughingboy
Direct Access

Post by Laughingboy »

Don't worry guys, Craigellachie is a piece of piss to find and is only about 20 minites from my pad of passion in Buckie.

Give us a shout if you head out there and I'll meet up with ya. Thats if the blasted bikes up and running by then!

BTW, if you want a real cracking ride out to the above try heading over the lecth (spelling?) through Tomintoul and onto Aberlour. I've done that trip with my Pal and its great! :-)
IZINBARD
Mr Angry

Post by IZINBARD »

We were up the Leicht yesterday, road was not too bad but lots of sand.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

It's just north of Dufftown. Some excellent roads up there!