I've got that Monday feeling ..

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

I've got that Monday feeling ..

Post by al »

I got rear ended by a car this morning while stationary at traffic lights. Thankfully I was able to walk away from it.

It reminded me of the incident in The Long Way Round when Ewen McGregor was rear ended by a car in America.

I was hit dead centre in the front of the car and the bike was fully upright at the time so it looks like the rear tyre and the rear panier frames absorbed most of the impact. The rear mudgard and number plate are broken and there are a few scuffs on the left hand side when the bike ended up on its site but to my untrained eye it looks like minimal damage.

I'm a bit stiff from bracing during the impact and picking the bike back up. Adrenaline starting to wear off now so I'll probably be asleep at my desk in an hour!

Just glad everyone walked away.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Re: I've got that Monday feeling ..

Post by haiax0 »

Sorry to hear it mate, Take it easy and take your time assessing the bike and yourself, what seems minimal can sometimes not be in the long run.

I am not insinuating how this happened but I have a massive Anal Intrusion for the amount of telephone in hand drivers on the road just now, its trending up in my opinion and it seems that all round observational skills in car drivers are at an all time low, especially in the city)

:hippy
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

haiax0 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:29 pm Sorry to hear it mate, Take it easy and take your time assessing the bike and yourself, what seems minimal can sometimes not be in the long run.

I am not insinuating how this happened but I have a massive Anal Intrusion for the amount of telephone in hand drivers on the road just now, its trending up in my opinion and it seems that all round observational skills in car drivers are at an all time low, especially in the city)

:hippy
Bike is being collected for formal assessment on Thursday and a loan bike dropped off. Should give a few days for my aches and pains to calm down. I spent the afternoon in A&E to get my left wrist checked out I had pins and needles and numbness from my thumb to my elbow but they didn't recon there was anything broken. Possibly just some swelling buggering around with the nervs.

I fitted a rearward facing camera system to the bike a few years ago ofter getting pissed off with cars tailgating me through town so the whole event is was captured in 1080P!

Zzzz
Baw Bag

Post by Zzzz »

glad to hear that you are (mostly) ok.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

:2up
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Glad to hear you are ok mate. That must have been a scary one with no warning of impact. :(

Hope you are not too sore today
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zathos wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 pm Glad to hear you are ok mate. That must have been a scary one with no warning of impact. :(

Hope you are not too sore today
I was aware of what was happening behind me so had a split moment to "brace for impact" which basically consisted of leaning forward and bending my arms before being taken from behind. I would imagine that is is a similar experience to being in prison or attending Eaton.

Spent the afternoon in E&A to get my left wrist checked out as i had a bit of discomfort round about the base of the thumb but other than that fine. Any residual discomfort I have is probably due to pucking the bike back up rather than from the accident itself.

Bike is being collected on Thursday to be taken away for assessment & repair (hopefully). They will leave me with a loan bike in the mean time till I hear what is happening to mine.

I'm just glad I was able to walk away from it, literaly! I still can't believe I managed to just step off the bike after bing hit by a car. I'll show you the video footage some time.

Cheers,

Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Aye sounds like you need to put a lotto ticket on this weekend mate ;)

Let's hope the loan bike isn't a dog ;)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zathos wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 am Let's hope the loan bike isn't a dog ;)
That depends on your opinion on the Honda NC750X. I quite like it.

It'll take a few days to get used to the indicators and horn being the other way round but I got used to that quite quickly when I had the Falco's.

Just good to be mobile again.

Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Looks ok, kind of like a Translap. :2up

Hope yer getting lots of sympathy at home.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

I'm impressed so far with the NC. The indicator position actually makes a lot more sense especially when I had my thicker gloves on this morning (not that they made much of a difference to how cold my hands got).

I miss heated grips!

The bike feels a lot lower and cramped than my V-Strom. We'll see how my knee's cope with a "sportier" riding position than I am used to (relativly speaking of course).

The storage space where the fuel tank normally goes on a bike is brilliant. The fuel tank under the rear seat pad will take a bit of getting used to though as i managed to spash some petrol onto the main seat pad when filling it up this morning. However, with the 70+ mph it is telling me I am doing then that shouldn't be a regular thing.

So far so good.

Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 am " with the 70+ mph it is telling me I am doing then that shouldn't be a regular thing."

Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Keep doing that in the town and you will land up in jail :log :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Oops! I of course meant MPG! :oops

Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Either way, impressive figures :log

Will need to grab a few beers and a catch up soon mate, been way too long...
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Nearly 6 months later I finally got my bike back today.

First ride will be to the MOT station!

Zzzz
Baw Bag

Post by Zzzz »

:P

That took them a long time
Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Good news, :2up just in time for the dark nights and cold mornings :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zzzz wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:03 pm :P

That took them a long time
Tell me about it!

As it was a non fault accident and the 3rd part admitted full liability, my insurance broker (who I naively though was my insurer) passed it over to Slater Gordon solicitors to handle. They, in turn, passed getting the bike repaired over to an accident handling company called Plantec Assist to deal with and there lies the problem.

I didn't fully undertand what was happening until it was too late and the dice had been cast. What should have been a £300-ish repair ended up costing the 3rd party company £2500 + 6 months bike hire (£10,000 +).

All through the process I protested against the repair estimate (which took them 2 months to supply to me) and my unease with having a hire bike for more than two weeks. The plantec telephone number is a 0333 number and they usually keep you on hold for at least 10 minutes so over the 6 month period it has cost me more in phone calls than it would have been to repair the bike myself.

I had no choice but to let this one play out to avoid the storage and bike hire costs coming back to me. I'm just glad it is all over now as I didn't need that extra stress and can actually start enjoying biking again. The insurance excess on the hire bike was huge so only used it for commuting so missed the whole of the summer riding. :(

Just need to get the MOT done and see what needs fixed after 6 months of not being ridden. The battery looks as if it might be dodgy as it deemed reluctant to start when the guy dropped it off this morning.

steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Hi Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) , hope you're ok after your incident , I experienced the same over 20 years ago and the woman who rear ended me denied liability for a long time then eventually admitted it , I hope any injuries you have heal quick and your bike is fixed soon 👍
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

steve wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:39 pm Hi Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) , hope you're ok after your incident , I experienced the same over 20 years ago and the woman who rear ended me denied liability for a long time then eventually admitted it , I hope any injuries you have heal quick and your bike is fixed soon 👍
Thanks Steve.

The accident was back in April and I am happy to report that I walked away from it in one piece. Therefore I shut down any notion of claiming for injuries when the solicitor came chasing.

I rode the bike to the office I was working in at the time after the accident once I had straightened out the rear mudguard and numberplate. Apart from a broken number plate, mudguard and a few scratches on the left hand side where it came to rest only there wasn't much damage. The car looked a lot worse than my bike. The only other thing that possibly needed replaced was the rear tyre just to be on the safe side.

I took the offer of a loan bike a couple of days later to get me to and from work thinking I would only have it for a week while the repairs were undertaken. I didn't think it would take nearly 6 months!

al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Bike failed the MOT for, guess what ......, leaking fork seals!

The bike had spent the previous 24hrs strapped down in the back of the van from England and it's previous journey was in the back of a van down to get repaired so I guess if they were worn then that would put them to the test.

Hopefuly getting new fork seals etc. next week then re-tested before a proper road test.

Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Fork seals are a pain. Possible due the the time spent sitting not being used.

My Tuono used to have issues if it was not used regularly
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zathos wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:59 am Fork seals are a pain. Possible due the the time spent sitting not being used.

My Tuono used to have issues if it was not used regularly
If? ;)
Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

It regularly got moved....just didn't get on the road :(
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

Zathos wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:13 pm It regularly got moved....just didn't get on the road :(
The wheels were the incorrect colour for the bike.