TT 2012

Forum from the scary world or road racing!
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Re: TT 2012

Post by haiax0 »

I did stumble across this one which is fairly central and has reasonable prices and amenities.

http://www.isleofmanttcamping.com/

Is any one interested in doing a group run down / pitch a few tents? I am fully flexible on dates and times etc.
Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

haiax0 wrote:I did stumble across this one which is fairly central and has reasonable prices and amenities.

http://www.isleofmanttcamping.com/

Is any one interested in doing a group run down / pitch a few tents? I am fully flexible on dates and times etc.
You might be flexible with dates but I would check with the ferry co. first for availability. :(
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

I suggest you phone steam packet asap as the ferries are booking up fast , the busiest time for sailing to the island is around the mad sunday wknd , race days for 2012 are the 2nd , 4th , 6th an 8th of June (weather permitting) ,

the ferries sail from heysham and Liverpool , I prefer sailin from Liverpool on the seacat as I think it's a better ferry , heysham does have a crackin pub tho that serves hot food etc ,

the main grandstand at the pits/paddock area is free during practise week but is £25 per day during race week , there is lots of great places to watch around the course depending on what you want to see ,

As Newbus has already mentioned the STD georges afc campsite is very good and popular , quarterbridge camp site is good too as is Glen lough ,

One very valuable tip I can give to TT virgins is be very careful whilst riding around the TT course , alot of the course has NO SPEED LIMIT , and as you can imagine alot of folks can be "nipping on" , if your not confident about going fast on a road your not familiar with simply keep tothe left and keep an eye on your mirrors , wherever you see the national speed limit sign on the island you will be in an unrestricted area , ie you can drive/ride as fast as you want , whilst this can be great fun it can also cause serious accidents and deaths so please be careful , if someone passes you DON'T try and keep up with them as they could be racers on road bikes , the mountain section of the TT course can be a particularly daunting and scary road to ride as alot of very dangerous riding can take place up there
highland81
Direct Access
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by highland81 »

steve wrote:
One very valuable tip I can give to TT virgins is be very careful whilst riding around the TT course , alot of the course has NO SPEED LIMIT , and as you can imagine alot of folks can be "nipping on" , if your not confident about going fast on a road your not familiar with simply keep tothe left and keep an eye on your mirrors , wherever you see the national speed limit sign on the island you will be in an unrestricted area , ie you can drive/ride as fast as you want , whilst this can be great fun it can also cause serious accidents and deaths so please be careful , if someone passes you DON'T try and keep up with them as they could be racers on road bikes , the mountain section of the TT course can be a particularly daunting and scary road to ride as alot of very dangerous riding can take place up there
Very good advice :2up

We booked at xmas time and it was only qualifing week that we could get ferry for
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

After the closing date for paying for ferry crossings (28th February) passes any unpaid bookings are cancelled and then go back on the Market for anyone to book , this means that at the start of march it can be possible to change ferry crossings to something more suitable , I know I'll be trying to change my crossing going back to Liverpool
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

As Steve says above, there are good unrestricted places on the lap of the course, but the bits that are not, are heavily policed. A lot of the course is 30, 40, 50, 60 mile sections, and police are there on the track with speed traps. There are also some cardboard cut outs of a policeman with a speed gun that fairly grab your attention when you first see it. I was leading Steve on one lap, although he has done much more laps than me, but he over took me, to slow me down as i was maybe doing 70 in an area that was 40, but had not seen the sign, so keep your eyes peeled.
I personally found probably half the lap boring. You are travelling at maybe 40mph, and the course is bumpy as hell in parts, especially after Ginger Hall, which will give you more of an appreciation as to what these guys are capable of, maybe taking that section at anything upto 190mph during a race. Best bit is from the Ramsey Hairpin to Douglas, over the mountain. No Speed limit, one way traffic (on the mountain section only) and open. Think we went up the mountain mile at about 165mph. Of the 10 laps i did this year, there would have been 4 or 5 we didn't get to finish, due to accidents and the road being closed, so you have to turn and head back the wrong way. Bit of a pain.

Also, as said above, go at your own speed, and watch your mirrors, there are some real hero's on there who must pass the bike in front. Also, don't be tempted to follow a bike with an IOM numberplate, as this will be a local who knows every inch of the track.
This year, i arrived at an accident, which had only just happened a minute of so before i got there, in which the guy was killed. You can tell the dodgy parts, where there have been accidents, as there will be yellow paint/chalk markings on the road, done by the police. (At the time 13:13:50 on the below video is where this happened and you see the yellow markings that were left by the police).
Get up early to get some laps in. Be out there before 7am, and have a couple of laps done by 8:30. No traffic, and the idiots are still in bed.

Regarding accomidation. I have always stayed in a house. We have booked the house outright, where we get left the house, and the owner leaves (either on holiday or to live with relatives). I could not be ar5ed staying in a tent. This cost us 1000 for 10 days, so 50 quid per day each. Cheaper than a hotel, and basically do as you please.

Oh, and just to whet the appetite for those thinking of going over, here is the mountain section, facing backwards from my bike. Bit bumpy as the camera is mounted on a rubber suction cup.
In front, was Steve on his Arr Waan, im on my Arr Waan, and behind is my mate on his RSV4-APRC-SE.
Last edited by Coddy on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

The laps we did this year were awesome fun Coddy , cheers for that dude , lovin the video too :worthy
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Great Advice guys, Thanks.

After a quick look on steam packet and a the first camping ground i had spotted in Douglas there seemed availability on both.. the ferry seemed to be a reservation cost of 20 deposit though... as stated in posts above i think you pay the final amount on day of arrival? (does any one know what the amount would be and if that is accurate?)

I think i will book something up sharpish.. :2up
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

You pay £20 when you make your booking and the remainder has to be paid by 28th February , if you don't pay by that date you loose your booking and your £20

There is limited availability on the ferries if like me you want to be on the island before the first race and not leave til after the last race ,

The total price for bike and rider has been £200 (approx) in recent years , food on the ferry is pretty pricey too and not great quality either
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

£200 for a return trip with a bike? holy mother of jeebus that is more expensive than i imagined..??

i thought the ferry was only a couple of hours each way how the deuce is 200 justified..

Just been back on website and i would hope for your 200 nicker (if you can get a ticket that is) you are guaranteed on the sailing of your choosing...

looks like in too late this year as previous comments have suggested.
Coddy
Chavtastic!

Post by Coddy »

haiax0 wrote:£200 for a return trip with a bike? holy mother of jeebus that is more expensive than i imagined..??
We took a car, trailer and 2 bikes over.
You should have seen the ferry price for that. :eek :log
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

haiax0 wrote:i thought the ferry was only a couple of hours each way how the deuce is 200 justified..
your going to the tt and you wonder why prices suddenly get inflated over the odds?

you should see how much proper accomodation costs ;)

I can't believe it's not butter!
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

The isle of man is a tiny island in the middle of the Irish sea , there is virtually no main industry , the TT an the Manx gp an the southern 100 are the ferries main money earners , sailing to the TT is the peak period of the year for steam packet , it's simple , if you don't want to pay £200 for you an your bike then don't go ! Everything is more expensive during the TT , fuel was nearly £1.50 for 1 litre at this years TT , a pint of lager was between £3 an £3.50 ,

I booked my ferry recently and there was crossings available to get me there on mad sunday 3rd June but I don't want to miss the racing , please note most homestays ask for a minimum amount of nights (usually 6 nights) so if you can't get crossings to keep you there that long you might be stuffed unless your willing to pay for 6 nights accommodation
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

will look into it further tonight and see what options are available. :cheers
stitch82
Chopper
Current Ride: kawasaki ZZR 600

Post by stitch82 »

Looks like i`m going, ferry booked, b+b booked(secure when check sent and recieved) :freebird can`t wait, all I need is a riding bud. Any one leaving on 26th/27th May from Aberdeen :worthy :boozer
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

I cant find dates on the ferry that match up to what i need all are way to early for me :(

Sorry buddy i would have gone down if i could get better ferry dates!

next year it is! :2up
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

haiax0 wrote:I cant find dates on the ferry that match up to what i need all are way to early for me :(

Sorry buddy i would have gone down if i could get better ferry dates!

next year it is! :2up
Prob be cancelations by February. If you going by bike could try add you on then as an extra, the ken if your looking at same dates though as me though.
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

what dates you got the ferry there and back?
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

28th may 1415 out-7th june 0845 back. PM me and I can give you my e-mail address. Could meet up sometime around 17th if you wanted if want to discuss at all :2up
Last edited by stitch82 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

stitch82 wrote:28th may 1415 out-7th june 0845 back. :2up
The 28th will be to early for me i am afraid i rather was hoping to take as little of that week off as possible to try and keep costs down where possible.

i cant see any other options on Steam packet its either the 28th or the 4th of June at the moment and i really need as close to friday the first as possible. Will keep an eye out for cancellations etc but think i am to late this year.

Thanks for the offer pal :2up
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

haiax0 wrote:
stitch82 wrote:28th may 1415 out-7th june 0845 back. :2up
The 28th will be to early for me i am afraid i rather was hoping to take as little of that week off as possible to try and keep costs down where possible.

i cant see any other options on Steam packet its either the 28th or the 4th of June at the moment and i really need as close to friday the first as possible. Will keep an eye out for cancellations etc but think i am to late this year.

Thanks for the offer pal :2up
no probs, I might even change my dates yet see what happens you never know
Coddy
Chavtastic!

Post by Coddy »

The prime dates, which is just before and directly after Race week will have been booked up in June / July this year for next years races. Regulars know practice week is the last week of May, and race week is the first week of June.
November is leaving it late for the prime slots.
But as has been said a few times on various posting, a lot of these date will become available due to ditherers of people who change their mind.

Either that or go for practice week.
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

If you TT virgins knew how good the TT is you wouldn't give up so easily when trying to book ferry crossings and the price of a return crossing wouldn't be an issue , I only booked my crossings a few weeks ago and the earliest sailing I could get to avoid missing the first race day is may 28th an so I can see the last days racing I'm gonna be on the island til the 13th , my booking isn't what I wanted but I knew I wouldn't get what I wanted as I left it so late , as I've already said cancelled bookings will become available in march so I'll be trying to get crossings closer to the dates I wanted

Steam packet only have 2 boats now and they run 24 hours a day to get as many TT fans onto the island as possible

Please be patient whist trying to arrange a visit to the TT , I'm sure my fellow TT regulars will agree it's a biking trip NOT to be missed , the TT is the greatest road racing and biking festival in the world an when you witness it in the flesh you will realise why we love it so much :worthy
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

Aye steve im all sorted like. Out on 28th and leave on the 7th. Got everything booked. Going down myself as 1st time and folk do ken are away at tht time :( never mind should meet new people before then from abeerdeen who is going
garymitch
Mr Angry

Post by garymitch »

stitch82 wrote:Aye steve im all sorted like. Out on 28th and leave on the 7th. Got everything booked. Going down myself as 1st time and folk do ken are away at tht time :( never mind should meet new people before then from abeerdeen who is going
steve is going down on the 28th and im going on the 30th. will be a lot of fun. :2up