Scandinavian road trip

slick
Direct Access

Scandinavian road trip

Post by slick »

I am trying to plan a trip around sweden then on to france via denmark. The first hurdle is getting to Sweden. There seems to be no car ferries to Norway, Sweden or Denmark leaving from Newcastle or Hull. Anyone know any better? Only option i can see is a ferry from Rosyth to Zeebrugge then ride round, only to double back on myself. Any ideas guys?

:2up
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Re: Scandinavian road trip

Post by coullstar »

Pretty sure theres one from Newcastle to Stavanger.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

There was one from Newcastle to Stavanger but it may have been stopped.

There is a 4 hour (approx) crossing from Denmark to Kristiansand in Norway

IIRc you can go from Denmark straight to Sweeden on the boat as well.
Tones
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: Duc ST4

Post by Tones »

Newcastle to Kristiansand, then you can get link ferries from there to Denmark or wherever
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

there is a stunning bridge linking Denmark to Sweden now, well worth the detour to see it.
if you go Hull - Zebrugge then trundle into Denmark, across bridge to Sweden, through Sweden to Norway, trundle as far Norht in Norway as you want (Boda is as far north of Aberdeen as Malaga is south of Aberdeen) the maps really dont give you any scale of how 'long' norway is, the place is huge.

spectacular nights out are to be had in Copenhagen, Oslo, Stavanger and Bergen (spectacularly damaging to your wallet) when crossing borders, take as much duty free as you can (and then some) roads in Denmark are pretty dull, roads on Sweden can be so so and a bit busy, once you get into mid / northern Norway, the roads and scenery are stunning.
Doing this mid year, if you get as far north as Tronhiem / Boda you'll find sleeping very difficult, there is no 'night'
Midges, holey sheeit! place is like the west coast on steroids, take midge repellant that works.

Ciggies can be 16 quid a packet from vending machines.

Scandinavians are great, (there are some spectacularly ugly ones too, I know, I've woken up beside some)
grantwils
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: '03 Thundercat

Post by grantwils »

Hull-Zebrugge is usually far cheaper then rosyth Zebrugge even when you take into account fuel and it's only about 4.5 hours down the road.
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

slick wrote:I am trying to plan a trip around sweden then on to france via denmark.
:2up
deeply jellious ;)
Tones
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: Duc ST4

Post by Tones »

If you can make Denmark by the 27th june, get yerself signed up http://www.standbyholdet.dk/?page_id=106 (Rockslide festival) as security, tent for a week, special bike parking facilities (field with big fences :P ) guarded by hells angels, seriously! :log never once has there been a bike incident that they know of! enough rock bands to make your ears bleed daily and cheap danish beer, just don't tell Nik that flob sent you :smile_laughing

I'm supposed to be going on the bike, but I can't get the ex to take the kids for a week :cry2