Small Drop

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
McWullie
Armchair Biker
Current Ride: Santa Cruz Chameleon
Location: running away from Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)

Small Drop

Post by McWullie »

Hi all I have a 1/2 Faired Honda Hornet & I was daft enough to jab on the front brake at 5MPH, in the rain, turning a corner so needless to say the bike hit the deck!! :oops

I have crash bungs that saved the bike but I managed to scratch the side part of the engine (Not very technical I know) is it possible to get a replacement part for this as I was thinking of changing it during my next oil change. If I open it up will bits n bobs fly everywhere or will I put out the timing of the engine?? :???

Any help would be great
memini
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha ycs1c and VFR V-teac

Re: Small Drop

Post by memini »

poss easist option if the casing is metal is run it down until smooth and either polish or paint back to the standard colour saves removing the casing even
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

No, bits and bobs won't fly out! :I can't believe it's not butter! :I can't believe it's not butter! unless its well f@cked!

You can get spare engine casings, but they are VERY expensive. You can get aftermarket ones that are "protected" from damage in a crash, people like NRC do them

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Products/E ... sings.html

Normally its a case of draining all the oil, letting it sit for a day or so to make sure it is totally empty, undo the bolts, off with the casing, use a plastic scraper to remove all the old gasket (important it is ALL off and the surfcae is clean and dry), fit a new gasket, on with the new casing, new bolts with loc-tite preferably, torque them up, sorted!.

About an hours work at the most.
fido
Direct Access
Current Ride: Tall blond

Post by fido »

I don't think Loctite is required for engine casing screws, they are not likely to vibrate loose on a modern Honda.
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

fido wrote:I don't think Loctite is required for engine casing screws, they are not likely to vibrate loose on a modern Honda.
Belt and braces ;)
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Backs 400 wrote:
Normally its a case of draining all the oil, letting it sit for a day or so ..........
About an hours work at the most.
Plus the day or so to let it drain.

Why bother? Most the oil will drain out straight away.
gmorrice96
Direct Access

Post by gmorrice96 »

remember if you do take it off, have a spare o-ring / gasket incase you damage the one thats on there, when i took the clutch cover off the tl it had an o-ring and was ok to use again, but better to be safe than sorry.

also make sure to torque the bolts back up correctly, i dont know that the hornet is like but on the tl if you overtighten them the case warps slightly allowing oil to seep out, and that aint good if it gets on your tyres OUCH!!!

its an easy job but make sure you do it right

greg
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Gazza wrote:Plus the day or so to let it drain.

Why bother? Most the oil will drain out straight away.
Just keeps things cleaner. You know yaself that even when you leave an engine draining for an hour there is still anough oil to make a mess.
Burger
Direct Access
Current Ride: GL1800, 650 Versy's

Post by Burger »

Try buying some of the "motrax" panel protector sticky plastic sheets.
(less than £20.00) something like a "titanium" pattern and cut to fit your engine casing to hide the scuffs. You can stick a bit to the other casing to match it up. :