Has Rossi taken the wrong option?

Give us your views on the world of Moto GP

Should Rossi have spat the dummy and gone for Bridgestones?

No - Lorenzo's proved him wrong already.
44%
Yes - In race conditions they'll come good.
25%
Pass - Who is Rossi?
31%

Total votes: 16

Sherpa
Chopper

Has Rossi taken the wrong option?

Post by Sherpa »

Well the Qatar night-time two day test is over. Lorenzo quickest on the Michelin shod Yamaha and JT a creditable second. Big story is Rossi down in tenth on the Bridgestones.

1. Jorge LORENZO (Yamaha)1:54.552
2. James TOSELAND (Yamaha) 1:54.592
3. Randy DE PUNIET (Honda)1:54.973
4. Colin EDWARDS (Yamaha)1:55.464
5. Casey STONER (Ducati Marlboro Team) 1:55.485
6. Andrea DOVIZIOSO (Honda) 1:55.550
7. Nicky HAYDEN (Honda)1:55.674
8. Chris VERMEULEN (Suzuki) 1:56.119
9. Alex DE ANGELIS (Honda) 1:56.249
10. Valentino ROSSI (Yamaha) 1:56.256
11. Loris CAPIROSSI (Suzuki) 1:56.450
12. John HOPKINS (Kawasaki) 1:56.612
13. Dani PEDROSA (Honda) 1:56.704
14. Shinya NAKANO (Honda) 1:56.792
15. Marco MELANDRI(Ducati Marlboro Team) 1:56.902
16. Toni ELIAS: (Ducati) 1:56.986
17. Sylvain GUINTOLI (Ducati) 1:57.055
18. Anthony WEST (Kawasaki) 1:57.459
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Re: Has Rossi taken the wrong option?

Post by Coddy »

Yes and no.

The big thing is this was a test. Could Rossi have been testing something on the bike other than tyres?

Has he made a mistake changing to Bridgestones. I think he has, as the Michelins are going to improve a lot this year.

Find out soon though.
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

There does seem to be a big deficit between those times, so I'll reserve judgement until the first race. :deal
kamikazee

Post by kamikazee »

i feel that rossi had no other option as michelins had been letting him down time after time even on the 990 bikes michelin tyres had caused rossi porblems, i do feel because of rossi "walking" from michelin, this has gave them a "kick up the arse" so to speak.
it looks like so far, michelin has got their act together, and have improved for this year.
whatever the case may be, michelin view rossis departure as a great loss, but i do not agree in terms of him spitting the dummy, as he has his reputation "tarnished".
i had stated in my previous posts "watch out for the rookies this year" esp, lorenzo, he will definitely be at the sharp end of things.
this of course is my opinion on things.
(please do not view this as a rant, or see it in negative light hot botty. :2up ) i agree with coddy in the test theory, rossi has made good use of his tests within the 800 class as he has known the fight would be tougher, however going back in history with rossi, he never worried about setting fastest lap time in tests, and of course come raceday "nailed" everyone (most of the time)
i guess we will all have to wait with baited anticipation to see who will be "top runners" :2up
Sherpa
Chopper

Post by Sherpa »

True.

Doing one fast lap isn't the same as doing a 25 lap race and Rossi has worked on race setup a lot in the preseason. If anybody's gonna sandbag at a test it'll be him too ;)

Also noticeable is how Stoner is way faster than the other three Ducatis and how De Puniet has gone so well on the LCR Honda thus far.

Still it's all very intriguing, roll on the first race.
kamikazee

Post by kamikazee »

Also noticeable is how Stoner is way faster than the other three Ducatis and how De Puniet has gone so well on the LCR Honda thus far.
hope this post im typing up isnt going off target of the nature of this thread, but.... hot botty. i do hear many folks saying on stoner and capirossi, that if its just the package stoner has?? why does capirossi not run the same as stoner??
stoner is a "new breed" of racer much more suited to the electronics as "help aids" whilst capirossi is a gp veteran who was racing the 500cc 2 strokers which in my opinion were "the" race bike, with brutal throttles like "on/off switches" one false move on the throttles and yer spat off quick as a flash.
the electronics on the gp bikes is much more suited to the likes of stoner and pedrosa.
many other gp riders hate the electronics now in use with moto gp and for good reason.
f1 has ditched the electronics now and hopefully moto gp will do soon.
i personally cant wait for the electronics to be dumped as this will bring the "zest" back into the riding also for us spectating, whether it be on telly or at trackside :2up
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Rossi has started on the slippery slope back to superbikes like his best mate Max (Billy-Ray). Stoner it the new kid in town, it's time folk stopped putting him down for what he has achieved over his career. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

(Edited by All for being a jester)
kamikazee

Post by kamikazee »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ye not think airwaves post of having "calm" on the forum was worthy???
kamikazee

Post by kamikazee »

i am noticing how Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) and swampy dont half like to abuse their power status on this forum?? well just ban me for life then?? i aint too bothered really :2up it seems you dont like me playing "nice" so just ban me for life :log :log :2up
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Well, it Seems Rossi was trying, and has admitted he is worried about his lack of pace for the first race.

Oh well, at least Toseland was quick, and Bradley Smith is posting some cracking times in the 125's.
kamikazee

Post by kamikazee »

yep rossi is not too happy with his recent test but feels it does not dent his confidence.
good to see lorenzo and toseland up there :2up i do feel that throughout this year season their will be many different riders stepping up onto the podium of each race (excluding rossi, stoner and pedrosa)
i think nicky hayden randy de puniet lorenzo toseland will be doing well this season.
id like to add edwards into the mix as i like edwards as a racer, but, he always sems to do relatively well in testing/qualifying/freepractices but struggles to string together race win, i would be happy to be proven wrong from edwards though, hes decent guy and good racer all in all. :2up
learnerdriver
Direct Access

Post by learnerdriver »

When Rossi an Capirossi raced as team mates at Aprilia. The telemetry on the bikes showed that Rossi had more throttle control than Loris. As Loris used the throttle like a switch.
Some of the older guys are maybe having there rider ability masked by drivers aids also.

An he has been prone in the past to put it down the road once or twice.
Sherpa
Chopper

Post by Sherpa »

I wouldn't say Stoner was a "new breed" as such. He came through 125 and 250 GP the same as his new team mate Melandri. It's just that he seems to have adapted mentally to what the electronics can do for him better than many other riders.

Agree the 500 2-strokes were the ultimate race bikes with the light switch on-off power delivery. Rossi was a master on those and his advantage was blunted firstly by the 990 four strokes and further still by the gadget ridden 800s.

I'd love to see Edwards win a race this year but his winning edge has been dulled initially by the disastrous Cube, then a poor season at Honda and latterly by having a genius for a team mate.
Budgie30
Mass Debater

Post by Budgie30 »

certainly doesnt look like it today eh? rossi will once again reign and shut up his doubters out there.
you would think the critics would learn by now? bunch of fools :biggrin2
dedpidgin2
Tidybeard
Current Ride: Honda Crosstourer Highlander DCT

Post by dedpidgin2 »

I wouldn't want to be doing your laundry today, kamikazee. Imagine the sticky mess! :nono
Budgie30
Mass Debater

Post by Budgie30 »

Youve lost me there. Please explain.
Did you see the GP today???