rich smell

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Banditpete
Direct Access
Current Ride: GSF 1200 Bandit

rich smell

Post by Banditpete »

how are you,
took off the council can put a beowulf can on a while ago but latley it has been smelling rich never smelt it like that before what do you advise it is a 1200 bandit 05......thanks
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Re: rich smell

Post by RK6 »

Fuel smell or wierd smell?

Wierd smell - If the can is still super new, it may give off some nasty smells and a little smoke now and again as the packing settles in. . .

Fuel smell - Not all that up on these things but it could well be getting too much fuel and not enough air. . .

Try a K&N airfilter!

Wait for further replies though as that could be complete non-sense!

See how helpful I am? :log

Welcome aboard by the way :freebird
Snoop
Baw Bag
Current Ride: B.M.W R1200gs

Post by Snoop »

just my guess, but You may need to have the Carb jets balanced to that new Can, or if fuel injection then you will need remapped, Just a guess mind you.

Wait again for better guesses,
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Welcome to the board !

Its a bandit so a good ( and easy) check is to whip out the 2 outside sparkplugs and see if they are all sooted up.
If they are then you are running miles too rich a set of aftermarket k/n style filters will help with that . but the best was to find out is get it onto a dyno and give it a run up.
You will get a graph showing the air fuel ratio throughout the rev range and will instantly tell you if you need more air or a rejet( if it still had carbs in 2005 which I doubt) / re map on a pissy.

Have you tried any of the Suzuki bandit fourums ?? I am sure that they will have heaps of info on this type of thing.

There is a thread on the board somewhere regarding the Highland Dyno place in Inverness area. A few people were talking about making a day of it going up in the morning and getting the bikes dyno'd then going for a blast on the way home.
Graeme
International Man of Mystery
Current Ride: GSX-R750

Post by Graeme »

I may only have the mechanical knowledge of a mere simpleton, but here is my contribution. Wipe the exhaust exit clean of all soot, muck & rubbish. Ride the bike normally for a bit. Check the exhaust again.

Lots of black soot = rich. Not the end of the world, you'll need to fiddle with the fuelling to get it right.
White = lean. Your engine will explode imminently. Get if fixed asap.

:2up
Banditpete
Direct Access
Current Ride: GSF 1200 Bandit

Post by Banditpete »

cheers for that lads have takingt out the two plugs black as the ace o spades looks like i will have to get it on to a dyno thanks again