Shoya Tomizawa killed in San Marino crash

Give us your views on the world of Moto GP
Zax
Derren Brown

Shoya Tomizawa killed in San Marino crash

Post by Zax »

Moto2 rider Shoya Tomizawa dies after San Marino crash (from the BBC)

Tomizawa had been in only his first season in Moto2
Moto2 rider Shoya Tomizawa has died after a crash at the San Marino Grand Prix on Sunday.

The 19-year-old, from Japan came off his Suter team bike when under pressure from Italy's Alex de Angelis.

Neither de Angelis nor British rider Scott Redding were able to avoid hitting Tomizawa, who was propelled off the track into the gravel.

He was airlifted to one hospital and then to the Riccione Hospital on the Adriatic coast where he died.

He had been in only his second season in the world championship, having stepped up to Moto2 from 250cc

Tragically another young racer killed - very sad news
DarrenR
Scaramanga
Current Ride: 09 zx10r

Re: Shoya Tomizawa killed in San Marino crash

Post by DarrenR »

RIP Tomizawa, bubbly character and was nasty watching the crash live.

I think how the marshalls stretchered off Tomizawa (and dropped the stretcher) should be investigated, the race shouldve been red flagged and paramedics over to him. Maybe it wouldnt have saved him but that shouldve been standard practice
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

+1 Darren.
Shocking marshalling. Surely they are trained in first aid. A severe accident like that they should be aware on back/neck injuries. I don't think in this case it would have helped the poor lad, but I think Dorna will have to act on this.
R.I.P.
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

ive just seen the crash that took this young racers life , it was a shocking accident/racing incident

i think its wrong for anyone to point the finger at anyone for what happened at Misano today , im sure the events surrounding the incident will be investigated fully ,

a young life has been lost so i think us mere mortals on here should show him some respect rather than offering opinions

R.I.P Tomizawa :worthy
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

was a shocker of an accident. poor lad, soo young, RIP

any word on the other 2 riders yet as one certainly looked to have come off bad???
DarrenR
Scaramanga

Post by DarrenR »

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/Pres ... a+Tomizawa

seems dorna are covering their arses already.

sorry, but if a rider is getting "intensive care" whilst at the side of a racetrack whether their all safe or not is wrong, the race shouldve been red flagged as soon as that happened.
DarrenR
Scaramanga

Post by DarrenR »

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detai ... ewsid=6371

Both were involved in a racing accident on the second lap of the Junior Manx Grand Prix race at Alpine Cottage. The race was abandoned.

The 2010 Manx GP was abandoned when 2 riders lost their lives in a n accident.
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Post by coullstar »

What exactly happened?
DarrenR
Scaramanga

Post by DarrenR »

basically, Shoya was involved in a horrific crash and the race was left to run on.
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Post by coullstar »

What happend during the incident, was it like Craig Jones' :( ? They dont normally stop the race if someone is badly hurt if they are out the way from what Ive seen.
wtrmarksr1
Direct Access
Current Ride: ZX6R(sold) & R1
Trek MTB & Cannondale R500

Post by wtrmarksr1 »

any word on the other 2 riders yet as one certainly looked to have come off bad???[/quote]

De Angelis OK. Scott Redding stitches only nothing broken.
RIP Tomizawa
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

coullstar wrote:What happend during the incident, was it like Craig Jones' :( ? They dont normally stop the race if someone is badly hurt if they are out the way from what Ive seen.
Tomizawa ran wide, onto the astro turf on the outside of the kerb. Both ends went away from him and he ended up sliding on the track. I think, from memory, Redding hit his bike and then De Angelis ran Tomizawa over. Redding was in the gravel, in distress, and bundled onto a stretcher. Tomizawa was prone on the track, obviously unconcious at best. He was put on a stretcher, then dropped off it as they tried to get through the gravel. All this was carried out under waved yellows. Considering they were running in the top 5 and the Moto2 field has 35+ bikes in it, there were quite a few bikes passing Tomizawa at close quarters.

It was a loving disgrace. If it happened in a club race then there'd be people facing criminal proceedings.
erin
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: A mighty Monster!!!

Post by erin »

I was in shock when i watched the events on the TV yesterday!

The poor lad was hit at more than 130mph+ twice in a matter of seconds....... the first hit by Redding (he really had no where to go and it could not be avoided) to the chest then again by the next bike, but that time he was "Ran Over" :eek then he spun on his back a good 3/4 time like a rag doll right in the middle of the track,.... If memory serves right there were another few bikes that had to move to avoid hitting him or the crashed bikes on the track.

The way the Marshalls scooped him up and ran in a disorganised mess Live on TV where EVERYONE witnesses him being dropped was Horrific.... It was immediately apparent watching the crash that it was at best "Very Serious" and probably fatal, yet the racing went on. It really was a poor show by the organisers.

It has been a sad week for MotoGP, 2 young riders killed in 1 week! :( .... It must take it's toll on the others involved and witnesses to the actual event. Thoughts go out to all of the family, friends and co riders
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

How many times did they need to show the clip ?? and at slow motion !! Should have been a RED its a young lads life !.The looks of the stretcher blokes they were an absolute disgrace.He should have been left where he was if knocked out and taken from the track by medics at the very least.It may have been to late by that time but im sure dropping him off the stretcher didnt increase his chances.

RIP Tomizawa :(
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

DarrenR wrote:RIP Tomizawa, bubbly character and was nasty watching the crash live.

I think how the marshalls stretchered off Tomizawa (and dropped the stretcher) should be investigated, the race shouldve been red flagged and paramedics over to him. Maybe it wouldnt have saved him but that shouldve been standard practice
I have marshalled at Knockhill, TT and several other circuits and have never been offered any first aid training. In my experience the paramedics do an excellent job :worthy , but there are never enough first aiders at those races I have attended. I would not like to think it is cost cutting by the organisers, but it seems a shame that it takes an incident like this to highlight a glaring failure in support provided to these brave young men.

I would add that I have received training through previous employment. I do have first hand experience of marshalling at a fatal crash. Even with adequate training it is difficult to know how you would react in an emergency.

Please note: I have no idea what training those marshalling @ this event may have had and I am not trying to defend them or blame the organisers, just adding a comment for your information.
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Post by coullstar »

Glad I didnt see it now.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Very easy to blame the marshalls, but they were probably unpaid volunteers and unlikely to be fully trained for such an event. They didn't have the luxury of a slow motion replay to see exactly what happened either. I guess a few will have been in some state of shock with the carnage.

The responsibility laid with the highly paid race organisers to stop the race and that's exactly what should have happened in order to best facilitate saving his life. They did have slow motion replay available and it was so obviously a serious injury that there was no excuse for not stopping the race.

RIP Shoya. :(
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Gazza wrote:Very easy to blame the marshalls, but they were probably unpaid volunteers and unlikely to be fully trained for such an event. They didn't have the luxury of a slow motion replay to see exactly what happened either. I guess a few will have been in some state of shock with the carnage.

The responsibility laid with the highly paid race organisers to stop the race and that's exactly what should have happened in order to best facilitate saving his life. They did have slow motion replay available and it was so obviously a serious injury that there was no excuse for not stopping the race.

RIP Shoya. :(

well said that man :2up
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

You don't need a slow motion replay to see someone lying unconcious on track in the aftermath. I don't subscribe to the "I was just following orders." approach to things.
erin
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: A mighty Monster!!!

Post by erin »

Dickie wrote:You don't need a slow motion replay to see someone lying unconcious on track in the aftermath. I don't subscribe to the "I was just following orders." approach to things.
:stupid .... Yes the organisers should have STOPPED the race immediately..... Yes the Marshalls should have left him there and waited for PROPER medical help, I am a fully trained First aider and nursed for many years (ok all be it a long time ago) and i would not have moved this young fellow... he needed urgent help there and then, not scooped up, dropped and then moved on somewhere else... an ambulance should have come to him where he lay!

I DO NOT BLAME THE MARSHALS AT ALL. THEY WERE FOLLOWING ORDERS BY THOSE WHO WERE GIVEN THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE THESE CHOICES AND THEY ARE THE PEOPLE AT FAULT!

I am sure there will be a lot of investigation into the full situation, and i am sure Shoya's family will want to know the answers..... But to be Honest, from the moment we all saw Shoya spinning like a rag doll on the track, I for one thought OMG that poor guy is dead and they keep showing it on TV (i know they did not know that at the time, nor did I) it was just they way he moved.... :(

My thoughts are with his family and Co racers.....
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

RIP, very sad ...............