Metzeler Z8 Roadtec Tyres

al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Metzeler Z8 Roadtec Tyres

Post by al »

I was after a new set of Sport Touring tyres for the Monster so had the short list down to the Michelin RoadPilot 3's and the Metzeler Z8 RoadTec's. With everyone going for the Michelins lately I though that I would give the Metzelers a go and give some feedback.

Got them fitted to the bike over a week ago but other than riding the bike back to the house I didn't have a chance to get them scrubbed in till last night as it was a nice dry evening.

Initial thoughts were "What the f*ck!?!?". It was probably not helped by me trying to get used to riding the Monster again but it felt very different to the Bridgestone BT-016's that were previously fitted. As the tyres were very shiny I tentatively made my way out to Alford. I pulled into the carpark at the transport museum to check out the condition of the tyres (and also to make sure my Scottoiler wasn't pissing oil over the back tyre).

Tyres were nicely scrubbed in over 50% of the surface by then so decided to press on and carefully work on scrubbing in the rest of the tyre surface. I headed on a loop round Muir of Fowless then back to Aberdeen. By the time I was on the road heading back to Garlogie I could feel there was loads of grip there and the tyres were already feeling better than the BT-016's.

All in all, good initial impressions but take your time scrubbing them in as they did seem very slippy out of the box.

Can't wait to get some more miles on them and see if they live up to their promises in the wet.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
al
Mass Debater

Re: Metzeler Z8 Roadtec Tyres

Post by al »

Check out the chicken strips -
DSC_0435.JPG
DSC_0436.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Did another 120 miles on the tyres today and I'm really impressed with them. They are properly scrubbed in now. They offer more grip than I am capable of using with a nice progrssive rounded profile.

I just need to get more miles on the Monster to learn how to ride it properly. I was working on my lines and positioning and gradually building the pace up. Still managed 55mpg!

haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

So the Monster is not for sale anymore? you have decided to keep it?

I am itching to try some new tyres so may very well give them ago with the striple :2up
noble83
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha Fazer FZS 600 2003

Post by noble83 »

Would like to second this assessment of the Metzeler Z8 Roadtec's. I put these on my FZS600 in June and haven't looked back. Great tyres, especially in the wet. :2up
MrT
Spank me
Current Ride: Triumph Sprint STD; Big Mans Wanger R1100GS

Post by MrT »

Just put the Z8's on the Sprint STD 1050, really good and far better in my opinion than the Pilot Road 3's I had previously.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

I had the Monster out at Kintore today for its first MOT. It was the first time I had been out in the wet on the Z8's and I don't think it could have been any wetter!

Anyway, the good thing is that the tyres performed faultlessly in the rain. The feel I was getting from the bike was like I was like I was riding on a dry road, it was only my eyes and leaky boots that were telling me otherwise!