Battery not charging.

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
dedpidgin2
Tidybeard
Current Ride: Honda Crosstourer Highlander DCT

Battery not charging.

Post by dedpidgin2 »

Hi folks, long time no see and all that! :P Not been using the bike a great deal over the past couple of years as I've just not really been into it. Think I need something new, and a move away from supersports to something a bit more leisurely.

Anyway... workshop issue... my battery is not very healthy, which I know, but ever since a visit to Ecosse it's not charging from the bike at all. I'd gone to Ecosse with a low charge and couldn't start it so Stuart had a brief look-see and said it was trying to charge but wasn't really getting far. He blew a fuse in the process of prodding and poking, replaced.

Now although the battery is not in top shape, it charges (externally) enough to be going on with but when I last went out (first time out after Ecosse visit) it basically ran dead flat over the ride. So is this a rectifier/stator issue, or could Stuart have accidentally done something when he was having a shufti? I don't know electrics at all so keep it simple! :P Should I just put it into the shop or are there some things I can check?

It's a 2007 GSXR600 by the way.

Hope everyone is doing well and riding happy. :cool

Cheers!
Mikeyadam
Just Passed
Current Ride: 2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Re: Battery not charging.

Post by Mikeyadam »

I'd put money on the regulator rectifier. Easy fix once you raise the tank, remove air box and get the connector uncoupled. There is some checks you can do to eliminate the stator. But chances are you'll need a new battery also. I might have an electronic copy of the workshop manual if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone (yes I have no personality and truly believe that having a fancy phone IS the way to win friends and hopefully get laid!) using Tapatalk
Mikeyadam
Just Passed
Current Ride: 2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Post by Mikeyadam »

I bought a new one from eBay by the way. Cost around 90 quid

Sent from my iPhone (yes I have no personality and truly believe that having a fancy phone IS the way to win friends and hopefully get laid!) using Tapatalk
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Welcome back mate :2up

Sounds like a reg/rec issue.

If you have a multimeter measure the battery voltage with the engine off then start the engine and measure voltage at idle and at 5K rpm.

With the engine off you should see 11V to 12V with a healthy battery, anything less and the battery needs charge or is duff.

With the engine at idle you should read 12V to 13V typically. Anything under 11V and the alternator or rectifier is starting to fail.

At 5K rpm you should read about 14V, which is when the bike is charging the battery. Less than 12V at 5k RPM means the battery isn't getting any charge. and probably the rectifier. As said above a plug in module which isn't too difficult to change.
dedpidgin2
Tidybeard
Current Ride: Honda Crosstourer Highlander DCT

Post by dedpidgin2 »

Hey.

Thanks for the replies and hello again Mr Z. :cool

So I bought a new battery...

...I bought the wrong one. :oops Total dumb-ring piece moment, I bought a YTX12-BS instead of a YTX9-BS! Ah well, new one ordered but I'd already charged the 12. Anybody want a new YTX12-BS for half price!? ;)

Just wondering - I think the old battery is in a worse state than I thought - is it possible that that could be all that was wrong? I mean it will charge with a battery charger (to a limited degree) but I assume that has more oomph (technical term) than charging via the bike? Just thinking that maybe I should see how things go with a new battery and just carry the old one in a rucksack for a few runs in case I need it!

Asking as I don't have a multimeter... but should probably get one I guess.

Cheers! :cheers
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

I would lay all my money on the battery being goosed.. new one should sort all your woes..