Is anybody out there ?????

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Re: Is anybody out there ?????

Post by Gazza »

This time of the year is generally quiet anyway, with a forum change, possibly more so.

It'll pick up once all the Christmas pud's gone. :P
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Gazza wrote:
It'll pick up once all the Christmas pud's gone.
aye, but from which year :??? :??? :???
crankcase
Tube steak
Current Ride: GSXR750k4

Post by crankcase »

Shame how quiet it is in here :(
Used to be buzzing with activity no matter what time of year.
Winter often brought the best entertainment with many a "debate".
People move on I guess.
I lurk occasionally but even that's dropped off due to lack of posts.....and biking :(
Fair play to Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) for keeping it going though :2up

What this place needs is a good discussion :argue

So lurkers old and new.
Let your presence be known. Who's still here ?
D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

Facebook has a lot to answer for when it comes to biking forums being quiet. I've seen quite a few local forums folding due to lack of activity, but for me, it's down to the members to keep things active. On the DBF we've managed to overcome things by a fairly active membership more a very active core membership, driven on by yours truly :oops

I don't know what's happened on this forum as to why it's went so quiet, but lack of activity leads to members dropping off as they have nothing to read.

Sure I've already posted in this topic but never checked :log
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

I was busy working on my bike over the weekend.
  • Pannier frames fitted
    Engine bars fitted
    Skid plate fitted
    Heated clothing controller fitted and wired in.
Just need the weather to improve and the salt to get washed away and I am ready to roll.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

I walked past my bike....on the way to the beer fridge.

I have had the bike out a couple of times and once the weather gets back above 5 DegC or so I will take it out again.
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Post by Quicksilver »

Today's only the second day this season I've not been able to use my bike for commuting (worked from home a week last Friday as the high winds were scaring me). Still active on the bike even if I'm not on the forum. Continued use is my way of keeping the bike from furring up - it doesn't work.
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Post by aisgsimon »

I was out commuting to work thi morning! After a flat battery and a friendly jump start from a neighbour cause this bloody cold weather means my battery just wont hold a charge!! (that and i stripped the thread on my battery cage bolt so I cant take it indoors..Whoops..Righty tighty lefty loosey and not the other way around!!)

It was.. Death.. Side roads are awful (which I use as a shortcut usually). Work Car park is an ice rink too. All the torque from the VFR means im taking my corners nice and easy...Very different ftom my old sedate Big Mans Wanger Tank. Hopefully it will melt a bit during the day for the comute home..
Zzzz
Baw Bag

Post by Zzzz »

looks fine to me - by the way, what is tap talk?
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

I'm building another race bike. ZX7R to race in one of the 'Golden Era' classes.

Radial front end from a ZZR1400 going in, should save about 2.5kg from the front end, most of sprung.

Yamaha calipers are a cheap but worthwhile upgrade.

I'm taking these off rather than fitting them. :deal

Bandit
Direct Access
Current Ride: 2001 600cc Bandit

Post by Bandit »

I have still been on the bike, albeit not today. I gave it a good wash on Friday afternoon, the water was freezing before I could dry it. I ended up firing up the heating in the garage/man cave to thaw it so I could dry it. I also applied a fresh coat of ACF 50 on Sunday and there is a new screen waiting to be fitted.

Sent from my iPhone (yes I have no personality and truly believe that having a fancy phone IS the way to win friends and hopefully get laid!) using Tapatalk
crankcase
Tube steak

Post by crankcase »

I looked at my bike over the weekend.............when I was in the shed getting screenwash for the car.
Sitting there getting as much use as my VFR did before it went to a new home last year. (great seeing it being used :2up .....and i still love it)
So this year I WILL use mine more. For the daily commute too, which takes all of 20 mins door to door in the car, 10 mins in quiet roads.

Hung up my hard hat. Offshore trips no more. Planes, airports, jet leg, night shifts are a distant memory :P
Shirt, trousers and shoes instead of T shirts, hoodies, jeans and lace up boots.
so.
Take a supply of shirts into the office every weekend or buy something to go over everything ?
There's no way my leathers will go over it all. They were a bit "nippet" last time I had them on......in 2013 :oops ..... and I may have "grown" since then !!!
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

MOT for bike booked on monday,... fear I may have to call ecosse and ask them to pick it up given this turn of weather. Put 5k and a bit on the vfr last year, 1100 of which was going to the motogp at silverstone :arse . Going to donington this year :biggrin2 just to see what its like.
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

I am still lurking, currently bike-less for the start of the 2015 season due to saving for a house deposit, so all available funds are being squirreled away :(

Since the winter months are upon us I am not missing the commute, but when spring hits I am sure it will be a different story...

My head tells me to buy an old girl for the new season but my heart says "feck the mortgage" buy a shiny.... :roll

for the moment its life in the bus lane :oops
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

crankcase wrote:Take a supply of shirts into the office every weekend or buy something to go over everything ?
There's no way my leathers will go over it all. They were a bit "nippet" last time I had them on......in 2013 :oops ..... and I may have "grown" since then !!!
I wear all weather gear over my work clothes and just keep a pair of work shoes under my desk and a fleace over the back of my chair in case I have to go to meetings off-site etc.

RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Zathos wrote:Good work Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) :2up

Appreciate you spending time to keep the site running :worthy
:stupid
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Post by Quicksilver »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
crankcase wrote:Take a supply of shirts into the office every weekend or buy something to go over everything ?
I wear all weather gear over my work clothes and just keep a pair of work shoes under my desk and a fleace over the back of my chair in case I have to go to meetings off-site etc.

Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Ditto, my textile jacket is big enough to cope with the liner and not crumple my shirt too much. Tried to carry shoes in and out but seemed a waste of time since they're just work shoes so live under the desk.
Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Post by Russ »

Yeah me too, keep a pair of shoes in work and a spare pair of sock, just in case !
All weather kit over the top and thats it.
Also just got a pair of Keis Heated inner gloves which seem to work well at keeping all the hand warm not just the palm that the grips heat up, trouble is I've had them 3 weeks and never been on the bike since coz of this bloody ice !
Oh for normal January temperatures so I can get on the back roads to work without the lying ice and snow !!
:angryfire
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

For extra warmth I have the usual heated grips but also EXO2 heated gloves and vest. Toasty!!

Graeme
International Man of Mystery
Current Ride: GSX-R750

Post by Graeme »

First browse of 2015 - Happy new year :log

Don't really think about bikes much in winter, mine's been under cover since the end of October.

I'll try and come along to some mid-week runs this year. Can't do weekends anymore, I've joined Club Divorced & have my kids at weekends.
crankcase
Tube steak

Post by crankcase »

Having now learned how to iron out creases from shirts instead of ironing in creases to shirts (down to 2 1/2 mins per shirt now :2up ) I'm not wanting my shirts crumpled at all !! (comes with club divorce Graeme. You too can become a domestic god)
But I'll give a textile over everything a go.
Shoes and coat kept at work.......great idea. Might even find room for an iron and ironing board.

And this is how far I've stooped. Discussing crumpled shirts on a bike forum. Wasn't like this on Sons of Anarchy.
tcat78
Direct Access
Current Ride: 2009 Yamaha R-6

Post by tcat78 »

Thought your shirt looked a mess yesterday........!!! I have always used textiles over work clothes. Jacket and shoes at work. Only a bugger if it rains on route to work and sometimes the zips leak. Should be ok for you being not far...

Sent from my Ipap using Tapatalk
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

I'm starting to get real withdrawl symptoms now, doesn't help that the dryer, beer fridge and freezer are in the garage so i see it a few times a day when home!! Keeping my eyes peeled for a workhorse/hack to keep me going but probably missed the boat for this winter.
crankcase
Tube steak

Post by crankcase »

tcat78 wrote:Thought your shirt looked a mess yesterday........!!! I have always used textiles over work clothes. Jacket and shoes at work. Only a bugger if it rains on route to work and sometimes the zips leak. Should be ok for you being not far...

Sent from my Ipap using Tapatalk

Leaky zip eh ? Office tittle tattle had it down as a leaky stroop. I'll let them know :2up

You're right though. Not far to travel so should be fine.
You'll be glad. Less ironing for yah. Forgot to mention I've written up a shirt ironing rota.
Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Post by Russ »

Im getting really frustrated now, we still have really bad ice on our track so can't even get onto the main road to go for a wee spin or I\d end up on my arse, not ideal after just getting this done !

The FUEL Exhaust is on , I took the baffle out so will see how it goes once the ice has gone!

VIDEO HERE

I think the new seat by Alistair Else (HERE) looks really good, you can also see a bit more of that on the video.

I got a pair of 18watt CREE LED's and I reckon the back roads on the commute will be a lot safer now.

The crash bars are from HEAVYDUTY and are solid, http://www.heavyduties.ro/honda/

SW-Motech Centrestand also fitted, gap underneath doesn't look too bad once the Cat was removed.

The Screen is an MRA one. now all I need is for the roads to clear !

Now, ICE, FECK OFF !!!!

:angryfire