stoner...

Give us your views on the world of Moto GP
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

stoner...

Post by Dave »

...impressive move getting back on to his feet
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Re: stoner...

Post by Coully »

it does look cool when the sliding works out

unfortunate for crutchlow though...
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

The TV viewing just gets better and better. The on-bike footage was just awesome. Following through the series of left handers and watching the bike in front and then switching immediately to the bike behind. Absolutely fantastic. :2up

Does make you wonder whether its really worth going to the races these days.
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Coully wrote:it does look cool when the sliding works out

unfortunate for crutchlow though...
I feel sorry for Cal. He's not had the best of luck this year. He's definitely quicker than Dovi, but Dovi is really hard to pass. Cal had a bad start yesterday, but who can blame him after the start at Assen last week. He does need to get it right though, or he'll blow what chance he still has of a fact0ry ride.

Possibly Dovi will get the Ben Spies' seat next year? But if I was Mr Yamaha, I'd realise that you don't win races by being hard to pass. You actually have to be quick enough to get to the front in the first place.

Having said that, Dovi would be the perfect defence system for a leading Lorenzo. He'll probably alos attract more sponsorship being Italian. :roll

If I was in Cal's shoes, I'd probably drop the Ducati offer and stick with the Satellite Yamaha team if I had to. It's a quicker bike anyway.
Coully
Knee Flapper
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

Have to agree, think while Ducati would be a factory ride,...it would be a step back...he's doing so well on the tech 3
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Cal said on tv he doesn't want to spend another 2 years on a satellite bike , he wants a works bike , Stoner reckons the current Ducati riders are gettin it wrong by trying to change the bike rather than changing their riding style

I think Cal should take the works Ducati if it's offered to him , he won't get anywhere on a non works bike
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

steve wrote: I think Cal should take the works Ducati if it's offered to him , he won't get anywhere on a non works bike
Dovi has been on the podium on the satellite bike. Cal is quicker and best both the works riders in qualifying.

Stoner may be right, who's to say. But nobody, including 3 world champions have managed to master it except him (and briefly Bailiss). The first world championship he won on it, there was a huge top speed advantage. That has now gone and the Ducati is no where near as competitive (IMHO). It could easily be the end of Cal's GP career.

Not an easy choice....but I wouldn't mind being in his shoes I suppose.
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Gazza wrote:
steve wrote: I think Cal should take the works Ducati if it's offered to him , he won't get anywhere on a non works bike
Dovi has been on the podium on the satellite bike. Cal is quicker and best both the works riders in qualifying.

Stoner may be right, who's to say. But nobody, including 3 world champions have managed to master it except him (and briefly Bailiss). The first world championship he won on it, there was a huge top speed advantage. That has now gone and the Ducati is no where near as competitive (IMHO). It could easily be the end of Cal's GP career.

Not an easy choice....but I wouldn't mind being in his shoes I suppose.
Agreed.
The Ducati has had 1 rider who was able to ride it. Stoner.
Caparossi, Rossi, Hayden, Melandri. All top riders, none can ride it.
Yes, Cal seems to be a bit wilder in riding style, and throws a bike about, but the Rossi/Burgess combination is supposed to be the best development team going, and remember the famous quote from them that "it would take 30 seconds to sort out the Ducati's front end" when Stoner was losing the front on it.
Also the moans that Stoner can only ride a bike full of electronics. Seems he rides the Honda with less electronics than anyone else on the grid, and Rossi is moaning wanting better electronics to soften the power.

If i were Cal, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. But there is supposedly a 7 fugure sum on offer, so might be his big payday.
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

steve wrote:Stoner reckons the current Ducati riders are gettin it wrong by trying to change the bike rather than changing their riding style
Exactly, only Stoner in my view has been able to get the full potential of the Ducati because he changed his riding style and not the bike. And when you see him riding the Honda, again his riding style has changed.
bully
Just Passed
Current Ride: 2004 Yamaha R1 and 2001 r1 track bike

Post by bully »

Audi's purchase of Ducky would be a good reason to think that extra cash and knowledge would be a positive, how long are tech bikes going to be able to compete with factory bikes? Think if Cal has the chance he has to go to factory team
Coully
Knee Flapper
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

We'll find out this weekend I guess.
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Either that or they will put a Turbo Diesel engine into it.
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

Coddy wrote:Either that or they will put a Turbo Diesel engine into it.
or make it 2 wheel drive and call it duottro

:2up