Avoiding catastrophic brake failure!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
dale123
Knee Flapper

Avoiding catastrophic brake failure!

Post by dale123 »

After race one at the last race meeting Graham squeezed between our two bikes from back to front, and brushed past my bike and the front brake lever.

Next thing, something drops to the floor. It was the front brake lever, which had snapped clean off.

On closer inspection the alloy looked as if it had three old breaks in it, and him slightly catching it and pushing it the opposite way, away from the bar, snapped the last bit.

Considering we had just come in from a race, and were just about to go out again, thats a bit worrying.

Didnt think much about it at the time, but although I had checked over the bike after crashing at Croft in September, and a slow lowside (opposite side) in March, the damage was unnoticeable, and I dont really know how long it had been like that.

I hadnt taken the lever(s) off though, so for the sake of 5 minutes its probably worth doing after any minor crash, and at the beinning of the season. Having it break during a race isnt a happy thought.
dale123
Knee Flapper

Post by dale123 »

Oh, and Graham, you owe me a tenner for breaking the lever.
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

:eek :eek :eek

I always give my lever a good squeeze before riding..makes sure everything is firm and not going to fall off in my hand ;)

Seriously though, a lot to be said for these new (?) folding levers. May be expensive, put atleast they do not break. Come to think of it, arnt the OE levers designed to have a weak point so that if they are going to snap, it still leaves you with a enough of a stub to use the break?
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

dale123 wrote:Oh, and Graham, you owe me a tenner for breaking the lever.
Actually you probably owe him a pint for saving your ring piece ;)
dale123
Knee Flapper

Post by dale123 »

Backs 400 wrote::eek :eek :eek

I always give my lever a good squeeze before riding..makes sure everything is firm and not going to fall off in my hand ;)

Seriously though, a lot to be said for these new (?) folding levers. May be expensive, put atleast they do not break. Come to think of it, arnt the OE levers designed to have a weak point so that if they are going to snap, it still leaves you with a enough of a stub to use the break?
See Duffus, make this face :eek give brake good squeeze. Id just come in from a race, I was giving the lever a good squeeze alright. :I can't believe it's not butter!

Im just saying, take the lever out and check it for cracks (around the pin)if you bin it. Folding, stock, or otherwise. The lever wasnt even marked but the damage was present, and hidden, until it dropped off.

Ill be buying Graham a pint, when he gives me the tenner. ;) but yeah, that was just a bit lucky.