Dual compound tyres

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator, GT550

Dual compound tyres

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

I spend a lot of my time commuting and tend to get a rather large :oops flat area in the centre of my tyres. Since I don't get out on the bike much for pleasure these days, (not a bike really suited to the twisties) has anybody got any experience with dual compound tyres with regard to wear rate, price, availability and suitability for a heavy tourer.
I have to guess that they would be a lot dearer than standard tyres.

Any info appreciated.

KK
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Why dont you chuck on a set of propper Touring tyres.

Also how long are you expecting to get out of a set of tyres?

It is pointless puting on a set of super sticky tyres that will only last 1000miles if all you are doing is commuting
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyres on my VFR which is a dual compound tyre (2CT).

They are fairly new on so I can't really comment fully but they grip well in both the wet and the dry and appear to be wearing well.

Another recommended dual compound sports/touring tyre is the new Bridgestone BT-021 which is the replacement for the BT-020.
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

I have used Bridgestone dual compounds on my ZXR for commuting and loved them!

Cass currently has Metsler Roadtec Z6's on her TRX which are also dual compound. Highly recommended. Being a twin and heavy the TRX chews up standard road tyres but the Z6's have held out and they are a lovely tyre to ride on.
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

I use the Metz roadtec, i have tried all tyres on the BB, they are by far the best, if you have loads of money get the sport tec but they don't last long but allow me to throw the bike around the twisties :I can't believe it's not butter! .
The roadtec is more practical and has great grip in all weathers.....
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Have used Bridgestone BT-20's on the Blackbird and was getting under 2k per rear and 2.5-3 on the front.
I'll be changing to Avon's next time around
grantwils
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: '03 Thundercat

Post by grantwils »

I'm using avon roadriders. Relatively new tyre technology compared to the others I was looking at. Done over a thousand miles of novice riding (power on straights while upright type stuff) and tyres are not showing any signs of flat spots. I don't know feck all about tyres but don't have any problems with these - they might be the worst tyres in the world for all I know.
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

grantwils wrote:I don't know feck all about tyres but don't have any problems with these - they might be the worst tyres in the world for all I know.
Me too also.

Thanks for the replies guys but it seems that now its an acedemic question.
I needed a rear disc as well and have found one on eBay which just happened to come with the wheel and a reasonably new Continental fitted. :2up
When this one wears out I will have to replace the front as well and will go for a matched pair. I have a Pilot Road on the front at the moment which seems OK

KK
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

When it comes to tyres, pop into Silletts. Rob will tell you what tyres best suit your bike. :2up
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

Grant wrote:When it comes to tyres, pop into Silletts. Rob will tell you what tyres best suit your bike. :2up
Cheers, will do

KK
Janjoker
Direct Access

Post by Janjoker »

blackstorm wrote:I'll be changing to Avon's next time around
Don't do it, Avon's are absolutely sh*te in the wet!!!
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

tyres

Post by Newbus »

Follow the link below and go to the section at side and add in model of bike etc and it will give you the recomended michelin tyre.I have run pilot ct and they are good and seem to give good milage but still flat spot on my bike becuase i mainly run 2 up.

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front ... 37&lang=EN

Dont always trust sillets he recommended pilot road 2 for my Busa and that is not the recommended tyre for the busa the michelin pilot sport hpx is the recomended tyre for that weight of bike.
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Janjoker wrote:
There's a lot of debate about it on the BB forum and the consensus seems to be the Avon's Azaros are far superiour in the wet and for wear than the BT020's.
I've had the bridgestones for a few years on the BB and never really liked them.
I've now got Michelins on my Yamaha now, and so far there's deffinately less sliding about
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

blackstorm, Have you tried Metz's :2up
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

Metz 6,
Last ages, very grippy, odd profile :oops (can't get rid of the chicken strips on the 190 rear)
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access

Re: tyres

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

Newbus wrote:Follow the link below and go to the section at side and add in model of bike etc and it will give you the recomended michelin tyre.I have run pilot ct and they are good and seem to give good milage but still flat spot on my bike becuase i mainly run 2 up.

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front ... 37&lang=EN
Recommends Macadams front and rear on my GTR

KK
Janjoker
Direct Access

Post by Janjoker »

blackstorm wrote:
Janjoker wrote:
There's a lot of debate about it on the BB forum and the consensus seems to be the Avon's Azaros are far superiour in the wet and for wear than the BT020's.
I've had the bridgestones for a few years on the BB and never really liked them.
I've now got Michelins on my Yamaha now, and so far there's deffinately less sliding about
Speaking from experience Avons are pants, returned to Bridgestones a lot happier but the wear aspect is not good so going for either Metzeller's or Pirelli's next!

:2up