Close call !

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Close call !

Post by Russ »

Was on my way to Ecosse from Blackburn on the A96 to drop my Translap off this morning, coming down the hill to the Marshall Trailers turn off at about 9am, it was raining so I slowed to about 60 as it looked busy with cars turning right, there was a red mirca (or some such poo car) waiting on the left to cross over, I was in the outside lane and saw him stop, then he just carried on across the road, slowly, obviously looking at the cars queuing in the middle wanting to turn right rather than what was coming down this side. I saw him coming but there was absolutely no chance of stopping in the rain so I had to open her up to get just past his front bumber, he was right across the 2 lanes by then. I had my lights on and a dayglo jacket and the jester still didnt see me, he was still moving as i passed his bumper and he must have been inches from clipping my back end as I got past.
If I'd have been going any slower there was no way I could have avoided him, if I wasn't so shocked I would have turned around and gone after him but by the time I got to the airport roundabout and gone back I wouldnt have known if he'd gone across or up the dueller.
It really pisses me off when idiots like that can cause a near bad smash because they dont look at the fookin road properly.

:angryfire
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Re: Close call !

Post by haiax0 »

Lucky mate...

Saving a few seconds in ones day is more important than peoples lives...

Hold the wheel pretend not to notice and carry on driving even though you know your making a mistake....standard driving skills these days!! :angryfire
Bubba13t
Direct Access

Post by Bubba13t »

The 1000yd stare, Aberdonian drivers excel at it :angryfire
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

lucky one there, I had someone cut across their lane at the kingswells roundabout the other week, if i wasn't so annoyed I'd have kicked their car, it wasn't as if I had filtered through, I was in the middle lane heading for town, the car on my left, and next thing i know they're cutting infornt of me half way round,. ARSEHOLES.
Good skills though, slowing down and all and reading the situation. :2up
Myxomatosis
Baw Bag
Current Ride: ER6N + GROM

Re: Re: Close call !

Post by Myxomatosis »

Coully wrote:lucky one there, I had someone cut across their lane at the kingswells roundabout the other week, if i wasn't so annoyed I'd have kicked their car, it wasn't as if I had filtered through, I was in the middle lane heading for town, the car on my left, and next thing i know they're cutting infornt of me half way round,. ARSEHOLES.
No one knows how to use that bloody roundabout since they changed it. I get this stuff every day so annoying!
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Coully wrote:lucky one there, I had someone cut across their lane at the kingswells roundabout the other week, if i wasn't so annoyed I'd have kicked their car, it wasn't as if I had filtered through, I was in the middle lane heading for town, the car on my left, and next thing i know they're cutting infornt of me half way round,. ARSEHOLES.
Kicking a car would do nothing, other than cause enemies to bikers. Better to just ignore it and move on. We all make mistakes every now and again.
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

aye, I prob would have fallen off too, in doing it. tooting the horn seems so ineffectual sometimes though.
Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Post by Russ »

Another close call I had a while ago was while, slowly, overtaking the big queue into Dyce. As I approached the Swailend turning on the right, I was well aware that some jester could turn right without signalling, and guess what !

As I got closer to the junction, I noticed this black Jag hanging back, obviously getting fed up of sitting in the queue and just as I got level with his rear bumber he suddelly swung right into the turning and zoomed off even though he had slightly clipped my front wheel. Luckily as I was going so slowly I managed to stop but then thought, fook it, I'm having you !

So I turned right and ran him down (I was on the Blackbird!), he obviously realised he couldnt outrun me so pulled over, I pulled alongside his front door and at that point he lowered his window, I gave him dogs abuse and with me being not a small guy, sitting on the bike well above his door you could see him pooing himself. I also noticed another car pull up behind, that driver came over and said he'd seen the whole thing that the Jag didnt signal, just pulled across me and asked if I was ok and that he would be a witness.

As there was no damage, and by now the Jag driver was crapping it, I just let it go, though I was smiling behind my visor as I rode away because I think in future he would possible looking in his mirrors for bikes agaimn, maybe !

:arse
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Post by Cossackmannie »

See that roundabout? Heading into ABZ, in the left lane on the bike, it always seems like vehicles from the left look like they aint stopping! It's really unsettling as I end up riding like a fa**y, crawling across the roundabout, trying to make sure they've seen me. Heading to Westhill however, I always stick to the left lane as there's always some large chelsea tractor driven by a blonde dwarf turning right. On the exit west, the middle lane drivers dont have nearly enough room. It seems to narrow as you leave the roundabout, forcing drivers to cut into part of the left lane. I just figure that if I use the left lane heading west, then I've only drivers on my right to worry about.

Don't like the cambers either!! Just feels wrong. On the old roundabout, it was nice, smooth left/right flicks. Now, it just feels like some fecker has designed it to make me ride across it like a complete f*d!! :confused
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

If I can get to and from my work without nearly being killed by ignorant road users I consider myself very lucky , the standard of driving and lack of respect shown towards bikers is shocking and really putting me off riding my bikes at all
Russ
Tube steak

Post by Russ »

Worst incident on a roundabout was luckily in the car at Murdos, heading North I was in the outside lane along the dueller heading straight across (2nd turning), car on the inside lane was level with me and then he decided to take the 3rd turning and so ran into the side of me as I tried to go straight on !

I got out and told him if he was turning right he should have been in the outside lane, guess what he said !

I was not turning right, I was turning left ??!!!

What he meant was he was turning left off the fookin roundabout, like everyone does !!! (how else do you get off a soddin roundabout)

He had absolutely no clue as to where he was supposed to be, i say it was lucky I was in the car because if I'd been on the bkie he'd have wiped me out.

jester !!

:angryfire
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

Did wonder why you looked a bit wide eyed when you dropped off the bike! Bloody lucky he never hit you
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

Russ wrote:Worst incident on a roundabout was luckily in the car at Murdos, heading North I was in the outside lane along the dueller heading straight across (2nd turning), car on the inside lane was level with me and then he decided to take the 3rd turning and so ran into the side of me as I tried to go straight on !
That roundabout's a f*cker of a thing. What you tend to see is people heading north on the outside lane of North Anderson Drive taking the 2nd exit (i.e. continuing along North Anderson Drive) coming into conflict with people coming from Northfield and going down Cairncry.